Although I have cruised over 20 times, this was my first one on Holland America. I chose this cruise because it was going to Cuba (2 stops). I have already been to the other ports/islands on the itinerary. I consider their private island an at sea day. The ship is old. The food and service were very good. The captain skipped one of the Cuba ports and did a at sea day instead. They bumped up the rest of the ports 1 day. Not sure why we could not go to another port or back to Havana. An at sea day provides them more money. They said the problem had to do with the generator. Could go to the other ports and stay out to see but could not go into the Cuba port. Doesn't seem right to me. As I mentioned, food and service was very good. Activities and entertainment, not so much. They had an activities director but not much of a staff. Other than line dancing, and activities where they made money (foot analyzes, art auction, etc.), the other activities were not structured. The best activity they had was America's Test Kitchen. I highly recommend going to that, although I thought they would let you taste the food afterward. The cabin was old and worn. Stains on the walls and rust in the bathroom. The rooms and bathroom were pretty spacious for a cruise ship. We had a picture window level room that had a full bath with shower. I would not recommend Holland America. Because we were going to Cuba, we paid more for the cruise. The went to 4 ports on a 11 day cruise. Way too much money to miss a port. Too many at sea days. They only refunded us $50 plus $38 in port fees for missing the port. I spoke with customer service at Holland America when I returned and was told the decision on the refund amount was made and was not going to be changed regardless of how many people expressed their concerns. I will never go on a Holland America cruise again.

Cruise to Cuba, not.

Veendam Cruise Review by clfox54

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: Cuba

I will never go on a Holland America cruise again.
clfox54’s Full Rating Summary