3. Viking Orion
This was our 3rd cruise on Viking Ocean, before on the Star & the Sea. Both were quite enjoyable. This one not so much! We boarded the ship in excellent health (and I have the blood work to prove it having been tested just 48 hours prior to embarkation). Within 48 hours on the ship, developed ottis media (inner ear infection) which was a cause of concern. Went to sick bay & the treating doc gave me 500 mg of amoxicillin 3 times a day for 7 days. The interesting thing is while in sick bay, the nurse was a bit frazzled since they had a big emergency the evening before, no other details were provided. I can only guess. A day or two later the ship was put under quarantine and all swimming pools, and the spa were put off limits for 3 days. In The restaurant, no more self serve at the buffet. Consequently long lines developed as the staff was not equipped to handle this. After taking the amoxicillin I went again to sick bay, and requested anti diarrhea medicine as I was under the impression it was a side effect of the amoxicillin. I was told in no uncertain terms "no way this was possible" and in turn was quarantined to our cabin. Anyone can google "side effects for amoxicillin" and diarrhea is a common side effect listed. What were they talking about? So I in turn was quarantined for 3 days to my stateroom. They told me I was contagious. Guess what, my wife slept with me and stayed in the room with me for 3 days, she never developed diarrhea. And the bland food they sent up, frankly was inedible. Regarding the ports of call, we couldn't even sit out on our terrace as the air in the ports they took us to had an extreme foul smell! Fortunately we stayed in a penthouse veranda which made our 3 days incarceration a bit more comfortable. However we were warned by the ship's captain if we left the cabin we would be subject to being kicked off the ship and returning home would be our problem. Nice, you would think I could order reasonable food instead of their inedible "bland diet". Finally we gladly disembarked in Bali. Frankly we should have just booked our stay here and by passed the Viking ship. Upon returning I contacted their customer service to articulate my concerns. The person I spoke to seemed unaware that the ship was under quarantine for 3 days and she would research it and get back to me. She never did return the call, hence the impetus for my posting. We are now almost two weeks being home and are just getting over whatever we contracted on the ship. My wife while on the ship developed a cough and also ear infection which she to this day still has. Viking offered us a $300 pp credit for our next trip. A mere pittance considering we had spent in excess of $20,000 on our trip. For those considering booking this trip, it certainly did not replicate our past experiences with this line and I dare say it will be a long time before we re-book another cruise with them.,

Bangkok, Bali & Beyond; **Caveat emptor**

Viking Orion Cruise Review by Diver Vince

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: Asia

Viking Cruises, Community Team has responded
Thank you for your review, Diver Vince, and for your candid feedback. We appreciate your understanding of the health precautions taken to ensure the safety of all those aboard and do regret any inconvenience experienced. While we recognize you’ve made strides to discuss your post-cruise comments with us, we would be happy to put you in touch with a Customer Relations agent if you haven’t connected with one since sharing this review. We look forward to hearing from you, and wish you a pleasant day.
Diver Vince’s Full Rating Summary