• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Magellan Review

Editor Rating
6 Awards

Fun way to take a look at a ship

Review for Magellan to the Mexican Riviera
ElTeeCruise
6-10 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Dec 2018
Cabin:

My friend and I thought this would be a fun way to check out Cruise & Maritime's Magellan ship. Plus we thought it was a pretty good offer, £99 for dinner, a show, an overnight stay and breakfast the next day. We actually splashed out and upgraded to a Superior Plus Twin Ocean View cabin so it cost us £129 each.

We came by train. The weather was atrocious (not Cruise & Maritime's fault) and no taxi rank at Tilbury Town station. You have a short walk to a cab office hidden beside a fish and chip shop. We were very pleased to find a lounge offering tea and coffee plus snacks that you could buy while waiting to board the ship.

Embarkation seemed relatively painless, we were in the first group, A, to board the ship. You still have the usual nonsense of them wanting to take your photo and holding up the queue. You're not shown to your cabin by an individual but there are crew on every deck to help you find your way.

Cabin Superior Plus Outside Cabin

Our cabin on the 7th deck, seemed clean and pleasant and we liked having a view of the lights of Tilbury. The TV is pretty small not that we used it. It was probably a little extravagant of us to get it though. It seemed a little smaller to me than similar cabins I've had on other cruise lines but I'd need to check to make sure. It had a kettle, which I really like in a cabin (as does my friend). You need to bring a UK adaptor if you want to charge your mobile as there are only 2 pin sockets in the room.

Shower was fine, clean although not much storage space. Plenty of hot water. The shower gel felt pretty cheap but perhaps not that unexpected.

8 Helpful Votes