3. Disney Dream
We took this cruise in May 2018 and I really wanted to love it but unfortunately it was awful! It was just me and my husband (from the UK) and it was to follow our 6th WDW holiday -we are huge Disney lovers ! We thought it would be the icing on the cake ....but how wrong were we ! Sorry to those that love the Dream but I can only tell it from the experience we had........... On embarkation It started well ....we had a valuable tip to go straight to the Enchanted Garden for lunch and it was the quietest most civilised meal of the holiday (barring Palo of course) ....if we had gone to the Cabanas then (which we went and had a look at while we waited for the cabin to be ready) my DH said he would have got straight off ! The whole ship was absolutely packed and areas like the Cabanas like a rugby scrum ! The pools (even the adult ones were shoulder to shoulder with people and very unappealing as i felt it was akin to sharing bathtub waters with strangers just yuk ! I expected the main pool to be like this but was not prepared for the adult pool and areas to be so rammed. The adult areas were also invaded by children running around to see their parents and babies screaming in pushchairs (their adults obviously thought a baby was ok to bring into adult areas) and Disney staff just looked on so no enforcement. It was not just the sheer numbers of people but the behaviour of such a lot that was appalling ...no manners,pushing and shoving,speaking to each other in conversation that was to our English ears shouting level ! The public areas just made our heads ring with the noise and this continued into the 3 main restaurants and into the theaters ! The composition of the passengers on board was made up of something like 75% South Americans,20 % US and Canadian and 5% Brits I wonder if some cheap offers got thrown out last minute to fill the ship as one lady I spoke to had only booked days before at a discount. For some reason we were seated next to 2 South American families with young children who spent the entire meal time every night running round the tables chanting out and actively encouraged and joined in with by their parents who found it hilarious as the waiters dodged round them. The main waiter for our area was Columbian and was able to converse with these families so I suppose that's why he was allocated but he was very poor indeed. He gabbled the menu so fast you could not understand what he was saying and punctuated reading it to us with animal noises to describe the meat as if we were idiots ! He was also incredibly pushy that we should leave him an excellent rating.... The assistant server meanwhile was absolutely a lovely man and we rated him very highly indeed. The assistant knew and called us by name but the main waiter just kept calling us his "beautiful family" which he used for everyone ...it became grating believe me ! Before someone accuses me of being racially biased let me just say that some of our best friends are Brazilian - but they do not behave like that !! The food we found medicore at best and some dishes were just downright poor. The waiter did warn me not to have a pasta lobster dish as he said it was horrible but there was nothing else I wanted so I chanced it ...he was right ! A starter bowl of tomato soup consisted of about a tablespoon of soup topped with and inch of mushy soggy croutons ! Any meat dish served we soon realised was in thick chunks or slices and very chewy ...just not nicely presented at all. I did not have the will to complain all I wanted was to eat our meal as quickly as possible and get out of there away from the racket of the kids. I often went and got a couple of slices of pizza or a burger from the quick serve windows straight after dinner to fill myself up as I had eaten so little of the main meal. Our Palo Brunch was absolute delight though. The ship itself was beautiful and our cabin was very nice as was our cabin host who looked after us well. The shows were West End standard but you really had to concentrate to block out the screaming kids and those running up and down the aisles unchecked while the show was on. Especially annoying was the families coming in half way through asking you to get up and edging past so they could get in the middle of the row ! Lifts between floors were a nightmare ...we never managed to get in one that wasn't packed after waiting at least 10 mins the whole trip. The rubbish left in hallways and and ledges around the ship was another bug bear ...half full cups of coke,half eaten food,etc etc a very bad indictment on the sort of people responsible ...the poor cleaners ! The rain started the evening we boarded and poured down the whole of the next day in Nassau (luckily we had not intended to get off) and all the night causing the Pirates fireworks and outdoor party to be cancelled. Castaway Key fortunately was hot and sunny but with impending bad weather at anytime in the afternoon forecast a lot of the activities were cancelled. The fireworks were let off that night in the pouring rain with only those right at the front on Deck 11 able to see them due to the overhang. It was torrential so nobody ventured out onto the open decks. So just to finish off our trip when we collected our suitcases from the Terminal both were damaged. The corner section where a wheel was on both had been totally cracked /smashed in and the wheel pushed up inside the body of the case . The staff member on the customer service desk was totally incompetent did not seem familiar with the reporting procedure on the computer at all and made the report out 3 x before she managed to complete it correctly ( she kept losing the screens !) She could not operate the digital camera properly and wrote the details on a white board in a yellow marker and then tried to photograph this next to the damage before realising that yellow on a white board does not show up ! She then tried in light green with a similar result ! My Dh was losing it by then and suggested she got a black pen from somewhere. This she eventually did and after nearly an hour of fiddling around we left her promising to tie both cases up under one report number with all the photos .Our confidence in this was not high She told us to claim through our travel insurance. I got onto DCL then as I thought they should be liable and did not see why we should incur more expense to ourselves by going through the travel insurance for purchasing replacements. Fortunately they agreed to cover the cost of near identical replacement cases ...but not before I had to photograph the cases and damage myself ....yes you guessed it the original report they had got through contained no photographs whatsoever ! So there's my sorry tale. DH is adamant that he will never cruise again and I feel so bad having spent so much money on it. I think a lot of things conspired against us but the behaviour of the other people on board was by far the worst I have ever encountered in our many visits to WDW and DLP parks. I probably should have complained to DCL about the whole experience but having had to about the cases I felt it would be seen as yet another customer just trying to get compensation and I did not want to be viewed like that ! Quite honestly it has taken me this long to even want to speak about the whole sorry experience and admit to such a huge waste of money on what was supposed to be a special treat but turned into a disaster !

First time cruise and last :-(

Disney Dream Cruise Review by Palowasgood

• Sail Date: May 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

We thought it would be the icing on the cake ....but how wrong were we !

He was also incredibly pushy that we should leave him an excellent rating....

The food we found medicore at best and some dishes were just downright poor.

Our Palo Brunch was absolute delight though.

It was torrential so nobody ventured out onto the open decks.

She told us to claim through our travel insurance.

So there's my sorry tale.

Palowasgood’s Full Rating Summary