3. Marella Dream
My first ever cruise, people telling me once I’d been on one I’d be hooked for life, I was there to be wowed and impressed. I did realise this was at the cheaper end of the cruise market, but as a long time TUI sensimar customer I still had high hopes and ignored comments about it being Butlins on sea. The boarding and transfer process all went well, and we found the overwhelming members of staff excellent. Yes the ship is dated, but our outside picture window cabin was surprisingly spacious, and cleaned twice a day. Most of the common areas were fine though the pools are not at all inviting. The meals were a mixed bag, breakfasts weren’t too bad, and the Orion Restaurant was of a reasonable quality. However the buffet meals in the Lido/Sirens restaurants were not so good. Everything looked appealing but most dishes were bland and tasteless, devoid of any seasoning or even salt n pepper. I recall what was described as Beef Vindaloo, yet it tasted like a casserole and could not even be described as a mild curry. Pasta dishes and many of the soups were also bereft of flavour. The entertainment was also a mixed bag, the 10 young people who form the Broadway team are highly professional as was the stand up comedian, however it’s a different story in the Medusa lounge where the Butlins reference emerges. Third rate Kareoke, childish quizzes, and worse of all encouraging people to do the Okey Cokey, having said that there were many stereotypical heavily tattooed lager swilling people who seemed to be enjoying it. Call me a snob, but this is far to Chavy for me Andy the reason I wouldn’t book again with Marella.

Good and Bad