3. Norwegian Epic
I am going to preface this review with a note that I had sailed on Epic in August 2017 for a 7-day Western Mediterranean. That said, I boarded with certain preconceptions and expectations. This 13-day cruise across the Atlantic as a solo traveler gave me ample time to compare my previous voyage against today’s NCL Epic. Embarkation in Barcelona seemed chaotic with little information being shared with passengers. Lines seemed to go on forever and it was rather warm when they left me standing in the sun. That said, I was onboard within 30-minutes of exiting my taxi cab, so overall, not that bad of an experience. It appeared much worse than it actually was. The remainder of this evaluation is going to be by venue, show or experience. Food & Beverage As a solo traveler, I tend to dine alone. NCL needs to figure out that us solo travelers have nothing to do while we wait to order or receive food except to watch what is happening around us. Then they need to figure out that some of us solo travelers are “in the business” and know how things should operate. I have been in Hospitality / Food & Beverage for the better part of 40 years. Many times on this journey, I wondered if I had become invisible. After a few instances where I wrote it off to me being “hangry,” I introduced myself to F&B Management. I sought out the Restaurant Manager whom we met at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet. I was handed off to Aris, the assistant Matre’d. I had some time to prepare notes prior to this meeting, so I did exactly that. I reviewed my notes with Aris who listened intently. He apologized many times, offered me excellent service in Shanghai’s which happens to be my favorite on the ship. I’ve always had excellent service there as well as The Noodle Bar. I assured him I would; of course it’s my favorite! That afternoon at lunch, I was sat in Taste. I received some water and waited to place my order. The hostess, Pretzil, sat another couple a few minutes after me. I then watched her instruct the server to “take good care of them.” The server then proceeded to take their order, whisk right by me and return shortly afterwards with their food. I voiced my concern for all to hear. I reintroduced myself to F&B Management. How could this be happening after I just had a conversation with Aris? I again sought out the Restaurant Manager, but again handed off to someone else. I reviewed what had discussed earlier that day with Nikola, the Matre’d. I told him of this episode as well as all that I had covered with Aris. How could this be happening? Nokola listened intently, apologized and assured me he would take care of it. Take care of it he did. That evening and for the rest of the cruise I was treated like a king. Most times, two servers were assigned to me. It was almost embarrassing. I wonder if they somehow flagged my name for all to know. Why should I care? I was receiving excellent service now. Dining Reservations I purchased the 4-pack of specialty restaurants. I knew I needed to reserve early as my preferred times would quickly become unavailable. Amin Shi was most helpful with my first week’s reservations and she made the Taste & Manhattan menus available to me so I could schedule around meals I would have there. Genette was dutifully stationed in Le Bistro most afternoons and she helped me reschedule one meal from Moderno to Cagney’s for reasons that I’ll get into later. Genette remembered my name for the remainder of the cruise and she could be my Super Hero if not for my favorite bartender, Zoron. O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill This place is very good for late night snacks. The hot wings are excellent and have, what I call, personality; they’re not just hot. The nachos are also very good. Last year, this place was my favorite. This year, not even close. Lunch on embarkation day wasn’t as bad as most other travelers were figuring out how it works. I managed to get a stool next to the bowling alley. Another gentleman was sat soon after and then placed his order before anyone even said “hello” to me. Eventually, someone came to take my order. I was warned that my Chipotle Chicken Sandwich might take a bit, but it was served with relative speed and was very good. On one occasion, I was sat at the same location for lunch. I waited and waited for service. When the couple a few stools over were sat and placed their order before anyone even noticed me, I spoke up. A server was dispatched to me immediately and Michele did her best to ensure that my needs were met. Again I was warned that a burger at this time could take a bit as it was busy, but I’m OK with that as long as I have my order in. Soon, a gentleman was seated close to me at the same bar. As I waited for my burger, he placed his order, received his chicken wing appetizer and then his BURGER as I continued to wait. Am I invisible? I spoke up once again and shortly after someone came running to me with a burger, but it wasn’t my burger as I ordered no tomato and this one had tomato. Now it was time to demand a manager. Rosalia, the Matre ’d listened carefully as I explained my dissatisfaction. I took the damn tomato off and ate the burger and Rosaria got me another beer. Once at breakfast, I was sat and counted three other tables. There were at least four servers on the floor. Another solo diner sat at a nearby table a few minutes later. We were both offered coffee and juice. Then, she was asked what she wanted and soon thereafter received her food as I continued to wait to place my order. Only four tables were occupied and this happens; inexcusable. Maybe I am invisible? This is when I finally decided to introduce myself to F&B Management, so I returned to my cabin to write down some notes regarding my poor service experiences. This was covered in my introduction. Taste Restaurant I could never seem to get a window seat here but that’s OK. I only asked that I could see out a window. The service is a bit slow but with a full-service restaurant, included, on a ship, you need some patience. At lunch I had the Cheese Steak Sandwich, the Meatball Sandwich and the Cheeseburger. They were all pretty good, but the fries always seemed to be just under done. I ordered Eggs Benedict here with country potatoes. The eggs were slightly over done and the hollandaise sauce was almost non-existent. I counted exactly six pieces of potato in my order; far less represented than all the peppers and onion. Once at lunch, I was sat and offered water. Another table was sat after me by a hostess named Pretzil who then instructed the server to “take good care of them.” I sat and watched the server rush over to them and take their order. She whisked by me and returned shortly with their food. That’s the straw that broke the camel’s back; when I reintroduced myself to F&B Management. This was only hours after I had my conversation with Aris. I went to Taste for Chicken Parmesan one evening. Bryan and Leroy were assigned to me. I was confused at first, but Leroy explained that they would tag-team me. Maybe there was a big red flag on my Sea Pass as this became the trend for the remainder of the cruise. I ordered the French Onion Soup and the Chicken Parmesan. The soup was bland, hardly any onions and I actually had to add salt! Crazy. The Chicken Parmesan was crispy which I liked but I had to ask for more red sauce as it was otherwise dry except for the meat. The side-order of spaghetti was over-cooked and mushy. Manhattan Restaurant This is another full-service restaurant included with my fare. Rey was a server who took care of me at least twice. He is worth noting as he remembered me after only one previous visit. He was very attentive and I never felt invisible as in other venues. This was before I met with F&B Management, so it’s even more impressive in hind-sight. The short-rib bolognaise was excellent and the wine was flowing thanks to Rey. The Garden Café I really despised this place last year. With all the kids running around and sticking their hands in the food, I avoided it at all cost. This year, I was pleasantly surprised and had both breakfast and lunch there on more than one occasion. The staff was gracious and helpful, especially at breakfast and the made-to-order omelets. Shanghai & Noodle Bar The Noodle Bar was one of my favorite places last year but it was difficult to get a seat. This time I found it relatively easy to dine there and did on two occasions. My favorites were the Fried Pot Stickers, the Beef Chow Fun and the Char Siu with Rice Noodles. Shanghai served many of the dishes that the noodle bar did but when eating here I chose the Kung Pao Chicken. The portion was much smaller than I recall from last year, but I didn’t leave hungry. It was still yummy either way. After meeting with Aris, Sheila was sure to make sure I was happy. In fact, if I were simply walking past her post, she would rush over to hug me and ask me how I was. It was a little embarrassing but I had paid for it early, right? Cagney’s Steak House My first “premium” meal was at Cagney’s. I had high expectations and was not disappointed. Merrie was my server and I left quite content. I had the Pork Belly appetizer then Filet Mignon with Béarnaise Sauce with Au Gratin Potatoes. Everything was well seasoned and cooked to perfection. Rosemarie served me on my second trip to Cagney’s. Rosemarie was excellent as was my food. This time, I had the porterhouse steak with onion rings. Rosemarie talked me into the 7-layer chocolate cake, which I ate every bite. Rosemarie got an additional tip from me. Moderno My second “premium” meal fell flat and I was very disappointed. I had a great seat where I could see the entertainment in Manhattan, but the gauchos kept passing me by with the freshly cooked, hot and steaming meats. They would head off to the far corner of the restaurant and when and if they ever got to me the meat was already cool if not cold. Maybe I WAS becoming invisible. I had to speak up to my server, Sandeesh. He asked me what I wanted and I explained to him that I didn’t want to feel invisible. He was a very good server but the gauchos turned me off completely. I cancelled my second reservation at this venue and booked in Cagney’s for a second time as I knew I wouldn’t be invisible there. For Sandeesh, I left an extra tip to express my satisfaction with him. Hopefully, he gets all the extra tips and doesn’t have to split it. La Cucina This was my third “premium” restaurant. This experience was after all of my invisible visits to other restaurants. I was sat with at a forward-most deuce looking out over St. John, Antigua. The clouds were looming by now and it was getting dark, but I would have a great view as we backed out of port and headed to open waters. I was served by both Rohan and Jeff and they ensured that I was not feeling invisible. Rohan suggested the Italian Red Blend, so I ordered that immediately. I ordered the Bresaola but was informed that there was no more Arugula and it would be served with Mixed Greens. Is this really happening? As a second appetizer I ordered the Penne Amatriciana. The Bresaola came out with spinach, so I wasn’t thrilled about that, but I went with the flow. They were trying. I was disappointed, very much so, that they were out of Osso Buco. I don’t eat seafood, so my other options were very limited. I didn’t come here to have Chicken Cacciatore; I don’t even eat that at home. The Filet Mignon in Peppercorn Sauce is served with bleu cheese ravioli which I wouldn’t like, so Jeff had the kitchen serve it to me with the Tortellini appetizer as a side. In the end, I enjoyed my dinner here very much. Rohan and Jeff could not have treated me better. I had the Tiramisu and it was to die for. I left a good extra tip for Rohan to show my appreciation. BEVERAGE SERVICE I’m happy to say that I never had an issue at any of the bars on the ship. While sometimes it was busy and we had to wait, we all waited together and I never saw a bartender give preference to another passenger that wasn’t ahead of me to begin with. Some passengers, on the other hand, were just rude and selfish. Karma baby, Karma. O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill Last year’s favorite place dropped to last within the first couple of days of this trip. Once I was passing by and stopped at the service bar. I was told by the bartender to come around and order from the area where people were seated. As I did this, another passenger stepped up to the service bar and was served immediately while I was still waiting where I was told to wait. Honestly, over time, I started going to this place more often because of it’s location but I never felt like a regular as in other places. Spice H20 Last year’s cruise was so hot, I rarely went outside let alone sit at a bar outside. This year, quite the opposite happened. First of all I found Zoron at Spice. Zoron was my vacation hero last year when he worked O’Sheehan’s. When we saw each other this year, it was kind of funny. I found myself at Spice H20 quite a bit this cruise. Nestor was another bartender at Spice. Nestor quickly learned my name and the drinks that I like. Zoron, Nestor and the rest of this team really made us feel welcome, like regulars. Waves Pool Bar Last year, I never even tried to visit Waves. It was so hot and so crowded all the time, I stayed below deck at O’Sheehan’s or the lobby bar. Waves Pool Bar was a place I visited often this time around. While it was crazy busy on those nice sunny sea days, it was much easier when the weather wasn’t as nice. We started out in rather cold weather but it warmed up progressively as we travelled south-west. Craig from Granada quickly emerged as the leader of this pack of bartenders. Although it was his first voyage on Epic, he had many good cruise stories to tell. Wayan & Govind were two other bartenders at Waves and they took good care of me whenever I was around. Cascades Bar I called this the Casino Bar. It didn’t have signage to indicate differently. Cascades was a quick elevator trip down from my cabin. I almost always found Ronaldo there. Ronaldo was a fun loving guy and a hard worker. JoJo was another bartender at Cascades that made me feel welcome at all times. ENTERTAINMENT I am not one to go crazy over entertainment. In fact, I only attended two or three shows in the Epic Theater. I like to stroll deck 5 and 6 and see what’s happening. Howl At The Moon Howl at the Moon was about the funniest thing I have ever seen; last year on the Epic. This year was a completely different story. The guys this year just didn’t even try. While they were talented piano players (and even some drums), they simply played songs. There was very little attempt at humor with the songs, rather in between and amongst themselves. Priscilla Queen of the Desert the Musical I enjoyed this show more than I thought I would. The storyline was fun and the production was on-point. Burn The Floor I didn’t last ten minutes before I got up and left. Having seen them perform in the Manhattan dining room, I thought I was going to see some entertainment. I was not entertained. Cirque Dreams I didn’t waste my time or money as I heard the show was great but the food was Prix Fix so very expensive for banquet food.

Epic Trans-Atlantic Cruise November 2018

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by JohnInHomestead

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Studio

The remainder of this evaluation is going to be by venue, show or experience.

Food & Beverage

Dining Reservations

O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill

Taste Restaurant

Manhattan Restaurant

The short-rib bolognaise was excellent and the wine was flowing thanks to Rey.

The Garden Café

O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill

Spice H20

Waves Pool Bar

Cascades Bar

I called this the Casino Bar. It didn’t have signage to indicate differently.

ENTERTAINMENT

Get Norwegian Epic price drops

Studio
Cabin T1 11576
My Studio Cabin
My studio cabin, 11576, is the aft-most studio cabin on the ship. That made it easy to find, however, it seemed to take forever to get to the studio lounge. In fact, I believe I only went there three or four times and that was to pick up cookies for the room.

The cabin itself is like last years with the exception of wear and tear. My closet doors had been removed and that left the track that they moved on seem tattered. The double-slider over the “porthole” window rattled so I had to stuff a face cloth in there to keep them quiet.

Being in the back of the ship, this room shook a lot. I have a video of a towel animal; looks like it’s having a seizure.

My steward was Fan Li (pronounced Lee Fan). Being from China, she hardly spoke any English. She was, however, very good and I was sure to tip her well at the end of this trip.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins