3. Azamara Pursuit
We chose Azamara, primarily because we wanted to go to Peru in the month of November. We had primarily cruised with Oceania before, and since this ship is from the same previous Renaissance line, we had familiarity with the ship. Sadly, that’s where the similarity ended. Before I begin with the reasons we won’t consider Azamara again, let me note that our room attendant Dyna was fabulous, Anika, fitness coordinator is loved, and all personnel in the spa were top notch. Our cruise director, Amanda ... wow, what a voice! White Night was a smashing success. Everyone, with whom I talked, was dazzled by this event; the outstanding food, the music and dancing, the ambiance. Now then, here are the REASONS WE WON’T RETURN to Azamara: 1. Food poisoning (contracted on board, not off ship) 2. Bland, overall disappointing food including swordfish about 1/4 inch thick ... too tough to chew, with a disagreeable sauce used for color; completely tasteless Thanksgiving meal; and desserts which were largely inedible on the buffet. (Sidebar, on Oceania Cruises, I never met a dessert I didn’t like. On Azamara, I rarely found a dessert worth taking more than one bite). We skipped several meals, after a few days on the ship, thinking why bother? 3. Lack of quality wine choices. I rarely drink alcohol, but my fiancé enjoys a good glass of wine. With our “premium” liquor package, he had the choice of only four wines at each meal, which he dubbed “$10 per bottle wines.” Once we realized this, on the very first day of the cruise, he asked to upgrade to “ultimate” package, agreeing to pay the difference. The answer was “no”. Too late. BTW, if there are any sommeliers on ship, they must by in the specialty restaurants, only. Big disappointment from Oceania, where Mark could have a conversation with sommelier, even at the buffet! 4. No clocks in rooms. Requested one at desk, answer was “no.” 5. There is no game/cards room. Where the game room was, on the other Renaissance ships, Azamara Pursuit has turned that room into a suite. Cards/games are among the other activities at 10th floor “Living Room.” This might be okay, but there weren’t enough tables, bridge lessons-lady loud voice interferes with those of us trying to play other board games, and in the evenings, when the live entertainment was in this room, we couldn’t talk, let alone think. Azamara squeezed two extra paying cabins onto their refit of this ship, to the detriment of the rest of us. 6. What was dubbed AzAmazing evening, was totally awful (this is a quote of another shipmate). The female performer was downright rude to her backup band. The round trip bus ride was over two hours. From where we were seated, seeing the stage was a struggle. 7. I’m not a fitness buff. We take the stairs, not the elevators, but when it comes to using the equipment, I don’t. However, the buzz about the ship was that everything in the fitness room was old/needed repair. 8. Frozen yogurt machines (both) were out of service nearly the entire trip. When shipmates tried to get ice cream from the buffet, after 2:30, the answer was “sorry, no, we’re closed.” 9. General lack of communication. We were on the ship several days, before we discovered they actually did have an afternoon tea. 10. Where is the string quartet, or similar entertainment?

First and Last Azamara

Azamara Pursuit Cruise Review by JJRuchotzke

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Club Interior Stateroom

Now then, here are the REASONS WE WON’T RETURN to Azamara:

1. Food poisoning (contracted on board, not off ship)

4. No clocks in rooms. Requested one at desk, answer was “no.”

10. Where is the string quartet, or similar entertainment?
JJRuchotzke’s Full Rating Summary
Get Azamara Pursuit price drops

Club Interior Stateroom
Cabin 09 4038
Cabin was fine. Attendant was excellent! When we asked for extra towels (only two were supplied), we received them promptly, and Dyna was consistent with keeping that request fulfilled. She is a great cabin attendant.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins