Carnival Miracle Cruise Review
1,400 Reviews

First time cruiser; I’d do it again

Carnival Miracle Cruise Review by Heidijobuck78

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior

This was our first cruise ever. We chose this one because of the Ports.

We didn’t know what to expect we thought for sure there would be this long line of waiting to get on and this big procedure. It was simple, flowed smoothly and we were impressed they were this organized.

My friend and also travel agent booked this same trip as well. We did not go together it was just the husband and I but we seen her around the ship here and there.

The ship seemed older to me but I have nothing to compare to. Her opinion when I caught up with her was this was the worst ship she’s ever seen and the decor was so old she didn’t like it. She stated that normally you enter and there is just this awe of main atrium and this didn’t have that so she said wished we could’ve experienced this as our first cruise. However as the cruise went along she said that this was the first time she’s ever seen a ship not so crowded and it was because of the ships unique layout. Most ships I guess have most of their “activity” in basically one area. She kept saying “where is everyone?” She liked that things were so spread out and said the ship was really growing on her and in the end loved it! Because I have nothing to compare to I thought I’d share what she told me as well. I never felt crowded at times almost felt like we were the only ones on the ship.

Our cabin was fine. Nothing fancy but did what it needed. I expecting this small Area as I did lots of research on how to prepare. We did an interior room and had ample closet space. One down side is one plug in at desk only but sounds like the whole one plug is typical on all cruise ships. Our room stewardt Gilbert was amazing and so sweet! He knew our names the first night and every time he seen us would say our name and ask how we were doing. He asked if we wanted our room done once or twice. Once was fine as we spent very little time in our room pretty much only for sleeping.

Dining well... here was probably the only downside of our whole cruise! I was not impressed by the food! Most times only 1 or 2 stations/buffers were open. He likes very simple foods and could’ve ate at the grill every single day. Every day was same thing (burgers, tenders, fries) he loved that they had that every day. They were only open until 6 though so that I as a bit disappointing. But was really disappointing was how dried out the hamburgers were!!! The first day they were great! The pizza I had the first night I thought was gross! Then I had a garlic piece a couple nights later and thought it was one of the best! Everyday after port I wanted the salad bar. Ports were hot and I wanted something lite but one day is was open and the other 3 it was not! Grrrr so hit and miss what was open and what wasn’t. Sometimes 6 stations were open sometimes 1. We ate in the main dining room only twice. He isn’t much for a fancy dining experience but I enjoyed it. If you want to try exotic foods here’s your chance! I however am just your normal steak and potatoes kind of girl. One night it was great the next it was so so. He ordered a cheeseburger lol we were in and out every time. We made sure we went the last night because they had a farewell dance and song. Was fun!

As far as activities went we only did 3 things casino, comedy show and bingo. Comedians were good. We only attended adult shows. Bingo was pricey and we played only 3 cards costed 50$ we were undecided if we would ever do it again. The casino is where we spent 90% of our time. He likes the tables and I like the slots. He became a VIP member the first night and received all drinks for free for the rest of the week while in the casino. Unfortunately he doesn’t drink lol but the pit boss let him share with me. I only had 3 our whole cruise and they were good! If we cruise again we wouldn’t add on a beverage package for him. It was 70$ for the week just for soda. I didn’t order a package as I like water and if I wanted a soda we were each allowed to bring in a 12 pack each and I ordered water prior to the cruise. I wouldn’t do that again either well maybe 1 pack of water. I didn’t realize that water ice tea and lemonade were available all throughout the ship whenever I wanted. I would just bring a water bottle instead. However back to the casino I had so many people say don’t do it as they are not regulated but I did well. I ended up losing in the end but I’d win here and there and was enough to keep me playing for days. One day I put in 100$ and I played on that for 3 days with the up and downs. Because of his status we got cookies delivered to our room from the casino and just little perks like that because of his status. So if you’re big into gambling expect to have better treatment.

Service from every single employee was outstanding!!! I can’t believe how these people get to know you on a first name basis and are always smiling and happy. They are stuck on this ship for 6 months at a clip and are always always happy!! The lido Restaurant/buffet never once did we have someone come pick up plates or ask if we needed something while we were eating in there. Maybe that’s how they all are though??

Ports: My travel agent says don’t ever book with the cruise line themselves they are always overpacked and you don’t Get one on one service. Shoretrips also gaurentees for you to be back to the ship on time.

Cayman we did the stingray city plus omg what an experience!! Must do. We went to hell and turtle farm. Sting rays are in natural environment where as turtles are on a farm. Could’ve done without that part but was cool to hold a sea turtle!

Honduras was a bit scary for us to do. We’ve heard so many bad things. The poverty is so bad there but we had a great time. We had a taxi driver who was our personal service man all day for 165$ we went ziplining, tour of city and included our taxi for as long as we wanted. He waited with us everywhere we went. We did pay to go to an exclusive resort which had security which was 20$ a person and then paid another 15$ each to snorkel. We have our own snorkel gear( get the full face ones if you don’t have them.. amazingggg!!) but we paid because he took us out a bit further over the reef and then given a life jacket each. Gear would’ve been included but like I said we had our own. The son who was maybe 8 and didn’t speak English but he would grab my hand and have us follow him. It was just us 2 on this boat and you could still see the resort. This was the only excursion (Honduras as a whole thst is) we didn’t pre book. I would never take a cruise and book an excursion once we get to port. The language barrier makes it to hard and you don’t know what you’re getting yourself no into.

Belize this was a bit disappointing we booked the al tun ha ruins. The ride was an hour there and an hour back and we could spend as much time at the ruins we wanted. Because we didn’t book with carnival and did our own it was just us 2 and our tour guide. Wow that’s the way to go because then you’d see the busses come in with 50 people in a group and one tour guide. We had our own one on one and the price is exactly the same!! We didn’t see the water or beaches here. But heard they are amazing.

Last Cozumel we did the Atlantis submarine and absolutely loved it. Only 3% of the population has ever been on one and we went 100 feet down. We could’ve seen more life but was still incredible. Because this only took up 2 hours we had lots of free time and chose to do this horse and buggy tour for 85$ that was outside the port. DO NOT DO THIS!!! He took us to his places and the slums of towns m.. this is where they tried selling you everything and took your picture and tried selling you everything.

I would do it all again. Same ports and same ship.

Heidijobuck78's Full Rating Summary