Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review
3,650 Reviews

Excellent shows. unique layout, great service overall

Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Another ship trip

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: the Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Balcony Stateroom

We chose this cruise because the ship moved to where we could drive. Have sailed from New York and the one port is not enough for me. So it came to NOLA. Should come to Galveston and we would sail more often. Shows were great. Burn the Floor is the most interesting dance show I have seen on a cruise ship in 30 years. I was a dancer in my youth and the precision, lifts, ballroom dancing and Latin dancing is phenomenal. I saw the show twice and they dance at 100 percent as if they were auditioning for Broadway. The Rock of Ages show was campy, raunchy, punny, sexy, funny and I loved it. Flip the comedian was quite funny--just wish they had more completely different shows. I see some comedians who have enough material to do three completely different shows in a week. They probably should have more than two comedians for an 11 day cruise. Syd's Pourhouse had a brand new rock band. They bill as classic rock, but only about 20% are true classic rock. Some is pop music and I would have preferred more Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Journey, AC/DC and the like---but it still was good. Tenors of Rock on the Seas was good and Barricade Boysj rocked it with Bohemian Rhapsody. LOVED that song with the four of them. So, all in all, I loved the entertainment. The bar service was excellent everywhere we went. Li outside of Syd's was awesome and we had him on the Dawn too I believe. We had a newbie that joined the cruise from Celebrity in the Atrium bar and he did great as well. They are awesome bartenders throughout the ship. And my steward, Freddy. Perfect!!! Did the Ropes course which was fun and "walked the plank". Wich they would have had the camera working on that. We ate at Cagneys twice and it was good. Loved the pork belly! Ate at Bistro twice and it was excellent. Got my fix of escargot twice. Their tenderloin and sole were both delicious. Ate at La Cucina and sadly, it was not good. The appetizer of Fettucine with mushroom was should have cooked a bit more and the sauce was thin and very little. Also barely a mushroom to be found. The seabass was not edible unfortunately. I had just had fresh caught seabass the day before on shore and it was delicious. The sea bass was so fishy and the side was a boiled plain potato. The Manhattan Room had dancing and a band so that was a huge plus. The Burn the Floor dancers entertained at dinnertime several times. I LOVED that. The size of the theater requires the ship to offer multiple showings. I believe they lost the balcony due to the Speigel Tent. I am still not a fan of making reservations, though if you want to guarantee shows, you will need to make them for the most popular shows.

The ship's interior is not like many other cruises hips. For example, The bistro actually looks like a bistro and they use brick throughout. There is not a 6 plus high atrium that you see in many ships. it is only 2 decks high and maybe 3 in the center where the casino is on deck 7. Smoke in the casino is unbearable in some areas of the casino is a snall slots area. I like to play slots occasionally, but I had to avoid that area as it was too smoky for me. Spice H20 had parties each night, though we only stopped by for a couple of minutes.

Our cruise director was Armen. He has a great voice for announcements, but his personality in the games was a little abrasive, "that's enough, that's enough, that;s enough, that's enough, no touching, no touching, no touching " etc. in some of the games. Kind of bossy I guess. I know that job is hard as he has to be everywhere on the ship, but he should be more friendly and it should look effortless if you are doing it right. I still think he did a good job; he just needs to laugh and interact a little more with guests.

The captain is the most verbose (in a GOOD way) of any other captains I can remember.

We had a great Cruise Critic party on the second sea day and several officers attended as well.

Our cabin this time was a balcony. I liked the layout of the bathroom and the fact that there was a door rather than a curtain for the shower. BIG improvement. There is very limited closet space compared to other ships. Getting into bed on the side by the sliding glass door affords about six inches of space to walk in. They have squeezed every inch out of the room. The room also had much less storage space from what I have experienced on a number of other ships. The carpet was interesting and I liked it. Most importantly, the bed and PILLOWS were actually comfy. After all, we need a good night's sleep so we can go, go, go during the days.

We ordered great weather and it was delivered. The last day on our return to NOLA was very windy and chilly, but overall, weather was warm with lots and lots of sun.

This was our 20th NCL cruise over 3 decades, I would definitely do another Norwegian cruise soon. I loved the ship and the service. We were even serenaded by the Washy Washy wandering singers!

Another ship trip's Full Rating Summary

Family Balcony Stateroom

See above for my review of our balcony cabin

Ocho Rios

We have been here 4 times before, so didn't want to take one this time. I don't like be harassed by the locals but we were from the time we left the port gates.

New Orleans

We have visited New Orleans at least 15-20 times and stay the night before or multiple nights. This weekend was particularly busy and boisterous on Bourbon and our usual classic rock band was replaced by rap. So it was probably our least favorite time in the French quarter ever. But we did not take an excursion because we are familiar.

Dolphin Swim

Hell, dolphin place (I wanted to see their environment and sadly very small in my opinion) and rum cake place. Had a 20 minute stop at a beach on Seven Mile Beach.

View All 92 Dolphin Swim Reviews
Harvest Caye

Love what they have done with this island. Lovely even though the water is very murky.

Hell

Been here and used to stay on the island and dive so pretty familiar. We just wanted to do something so they took us to Hell (been there--no big deal) and the dolphin place. It really depressed me because they have such a small enclosure. Kind of like if you were relegated to a 15x15 cell and had to do tricks for your food. Their enclosure should be at least the size of a bay in a natural sandy bottom. The only one I have liked is at Anthony's Key where they have an entire bay that is acres in size and it the actual ocean. I found this place woefully depressing to me.

Beach

We have been here 20 times and love Little French Key. This was our 7th or 8th time there.

Very relaxing day. Too choppy to swim but we ate a delicious lunch and were waited on hand and foot. I took the only nap I had on shore in my palapa.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Belize City

Been there lots of times. Just went to Wet Lizard, shopped a little and went back to ship. Hate the tender ride.

Cozumel

Been here tons of times. Just went on shore and came back. It was our 7th port and I was getting weary.

Another ship trip