Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review
3,695 Reviews

Superb! But Mega Ships Aren't for Everyone. Know before You Go!

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by CNickMN

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Central Park View Balcony

This ship is a wonder to behold. It's huge! And because there are some larger areas broken up into sections (Royal Promenade, Boardwalk, Central Park, the pool deck, the Solarium), it doesn't tend to feel quite as crowded. There are also lots of music venues to choose from (the pub, the Schooner bar, Dazzles, Jazz on 4, Boleros), so you will find something to enjoy there too.

Our cabin was one overlooking Central Park, which I worried might feel a bit weird since you are facing a lot of other cabins, but it was fine. The cabin itself was small, but it had adequate closets and storage.

My husband and I ate in the main dining room all evenings but one, and we found the service to be wonderful. And we really enjoyed the food (I'm a sucker for a good pork shank, and RCCL's didn't disappoint!).

We ate in the Windjammer only once for dinner. We skipped it entirely for lunch because there always seemed to be a line to get in. And this is where the "Mega Ships Aren't for Everyone" comes in. If we needed a bite during the day, we either got a hot dog from the Dog House (delicious, by the way) or we got something from the Wipeout Cafe. The Solarium Bistro also has some lunchtime hours available.

And, yes, you have to book shows weeks in advance. Don't wait until you are on the ship! Now, to me this is a drawback of the mega ship. I prefer to glance at the cruise compass that day, check out what's playing, and then decide what I feel like doing that evening. You really cannot do this on the Oasis.

There seems to be a lot to do on the ship for families, which is another drawback for me. The upshot is that there are many children on board.

Another drawback is that even though there are many venues and activities on the ship, the layout doesn't seem to allow for much outdoor space to just sit and look out at the water or have a casual stroll.

And if you are Diamond, know that the Diamond Lounge will be very crowded. On most nights, they also opened up Blaze as a sort of second Diamond Lounge to handle the overflow. If you have that option, absolutely go to Blaze or wherever they have this "second" lounge. It was much, much less crowded.

So while I do love the Oasis, I know that some people won't like this type of ship. Before you book, just know the type of traveler you are.

CNickMN's Full Rating Summary

Central Park View Balcony
Cabin 1J 11183

Yes, the balcony faces all the other balconies on the other side. I thought that might be weird, but it was fine. Overlooking Central Park in the evening is lovely.

St. Thomas

We just took a cab to Coki Point Beach and had a beach day. Coki has some nice snorkeling and is a lovely beach!

Island Tour

We took an island tour, as we hadn't been there before. The island is still recovering from the hurricane, but Orient Bay Beach was really nice. Next time we're there, we'll probably just take a cab there and spend the day.

View All 437 Island Tour Reviews