3. Vesteralen
My main purpose for the cruise was to view the Northern Lights. Unfortunately, due to the prevailing weather conditions, I was somewhat disappointed - less than what I was expecting. However, the amicability and interaction between crew and travellers, and between travellers more than compensated for this. An unanticipated side benefit was being able to connect with fellow passengers as potential business associates, with ideas generated being worthy of pursuit - no doubt fostered by the relaxed, friendly atmosphere on the ship. Further, I was impressed by the catering staff who went to extreme lengths to ensure those of us with problem digestive systems had precisely what we needed - and there were plenty of us, plus by the event organiser (Svein) - nothing was too much trouble! For me, 7 days was enough and whilst keen to return to my other life, I will look upon this trip as a great experience with long term friendships & business associates established. As an Australian, I had learnt French & German and was delighted that there were contingents of Europeans on board from a range of countries. . I can always view the Northern Lights on YT... or go to Canada, or Antarctica... One item out of control of the ship's crew was the weather! But then, Life is what one makes of it. In my opinion, a superior effort was made by all crew members to more than please their passengers. Best wishes to all who sailed on this ship Nov/Dec 2018. Nadine (aka Dianne)

Northern Lights experience

Vesteralen Cruise Review by Nadineh

My main purpose for the cruise was to view the Northern Lights.

One item out of control of the ship's crew was the weather!

But then, Life is what one makes of it.

Best wishes to all who sailed on this ship Nov/Dec 2018.

Nadine

(aka Dianne)
Nadineh’s Full Rating Summary
Get Hurtigruten Vesteralen price drops

Initially I was disappointed in the size of the cabin, and I would have liked a double bed, or one larger than a single. A single is ok if it is not against a wall.
My cabin had a port hole & as I was on the side where we pulled into the various ports, I had 1st glimpse of the places - not so good when calling at ports during the night & small hours of the morning. I used wax ear plugs to minimise the noise as we prepared to dock - again in the wee hours of the morning. During the day it was not a problem.
I liked the tray that pulled out from the dressing table to form a desk - great for for my computing work.
I was pleasantly surprised at the bathroom/showers which were excellent with plenty of pressure & hot water especially with several hundred people on board.