3. Amadeus Queen
We had chosen a Danube Christmas Markets cruise from Vienna to Nuremburg on the very smart, new Amadeus Queen. Our suite was very large, with chocolate truffles every day (sadly only 3 on that ship, we never received them on the Elegant), nice food, and the Cruise Directors were fun. Unfortunately we had to leave after 3 days because the Danube river levels were low (all autumn) and be bussed to Regensburg for our final 3 days of the cruise - I would continue the review on the Amadeus Elegant page, but I have to use 150 words, so will cover that now! The Elegant is a 3 star ship - it has not been renovated in 9 years since it was built, and the cabins and suites are a third smaller, losing the large shower. The food however was superb - and all 5 course meals! My main dissatisfaction with Amadeus is that the cruise was very regimented. We had compulsory "good morning campers" speeches into our cabins each day, and lots of repetitive "do this now" announcements during the day. The price of this cruise is very good value for money, so I think that's why at least 3/4 of the cruisers were with groups, who had their own lectures etc. Amadeus are I believe the only river cruise line who insist on putting people onto a compulsory table for meals throughout the cruise. This effectively turns you into another group! As a result I think I talked to about 10 other people, as opposed to dozens on our previous Avalon cruise, where we sat and talked to people at random, and no-one appeared to be in a closed group. Our previous Avalon cruise on the River Main was more relaxed, though the good weather then, and appalling rain this time, may have affected my memory! With Amadeus the excursions are optional and extra cost. I did like the Vienna evening concert, and Melk Abbey was interesting, Nuremburg was also good - I liked seeing the historic Nazi sites, especially as it meant we didn't have to get off the bus for so long into the pouring rain! I probably would not travel with Amadeus again - if they cannot guarantee a similar standard of ship if they have to make you bus to another ship, and all of the regimentation has put me off them.

Danube Christmas Markets cruise