3. Norwegian Gem
It was November 3rd, 2018 my 1st Norwegian cruise from NewYork City to Florida and 2 islands in the Bahamas. To start the cruise amount dropped before the cruise about $100 before the cruise. I 'led out the form and called customer services to have the amount adjusted and they refused. I was upset because I have been able to make those type of adjustments in the past with other cruise lines. If you say you o)er the best price you should honor that especially if it is directly from their website. Anyway, I am a frequent cruiser. This was my sixth trip over all and my 3rd trip to Florida and the Bahamas. There were a few other ships docked at our port that day. We got there about 1 or 2 PM and were probably on board by 2:30 - 3:00 PM. We were given our key cards in the terminal. We were sailing the Norwegian Gem and we entered the atrium which was very clean and beautifully decorated. Our luggage was being delivered to the room, so we were not concerned to much about that. We had an Oceanview room. There was a Queen size bed and a pullman bed one the side of the wall. This room was connected to another with a door. I was afraid I would here next door, but I never did. The bathroom had the shower with a glass sliding door, the sink was in the middle, and the toilet on the other side also with a glass sliding door. I like the idea of that kind of privacy just incase someone had to come in while the bathroom was being used. The blues and the browns and the oak cherry wood gave a nice cozy feeling in the room that was to be my home for the week.I think the major di)erences I saw in this ship is at there were so many di)erent places to eat. There was a main dining Grand Paci'c, mid ship dining Magenta, and Asian dining Orchid Garden, and a 24-hour dining O’sheean’s, all complimentary on the ship. And just as many specialty dining areas on the ship. Myfamily went straight to the BBQ to enjoy the festivities at the sail away party.The shows were phenomenal. I didn’t miss one. The service from the sta) was impeccable, which I have come to expect on every cruise. The Cruise Director Lenora was great, warm – spirited, energetic, and very friendly. She taught a salsa, and then a merengue class, which we had the opportunity of enjoying. And my daughter participated in the complementary camp there. The children all performed a wonderful show at the last sea day on the ship.The children’s camp through-out the cruise had interesting times to pick the children up. It was not all day like I was expecting. It was more like 9AM to 12 PM and then again from 1 PM to 3 PM. So, it was di)erent, and di=cult for me to plan around it. There were times my little one wanted to go, but they were closed, and she was a little bored.I like the fact Norwegian o)ers a picture package. This was something new that I have not experienced. I like to buy professional pictures every cruise. I spend roughly around $100 in pictures so their picture package I believe was $140 for ten wasa perfect match for me. That was just enough for me to pick my favorites and take them home. When I purchased the picture package it also came with a mini USB looking like a cruise ship and it came with the digital copies of the pictures, so I could makecopies later or post them on social media if I chose to. The things that bothered me were in the Main Dining, which Ichose to eat almost every morning, missed one request from every meal. If I asked for an omelet without ham – it came with ham. If a meal was supposed to come with fruit they may have forgotten it. The salt and pepper were always labeled wrong. I thought at 1st I as picking up the wrong shaker, but I was not. There were always two salt or two pepper to our table. Every time I visited the restaurant it was like that until I made a complaint. They sent the Manager of the Diners to us when we atat Magenta to inquire about my complaint and looked in to the issue. We ate at O’sheean’s and it took them an hour to serve dinner, when there wasn’t a huge amount of customer’s there. It truly doesn’t take an hour to serve a cheeseburger, soup, and a sandwich. There was a larger family that came after us and the were being tended to before us. I explained to the waiter we were waiting over an hour for our dinner. That is when he served us. When we ate there for breakfast another time the service wasmuch better. I want to say the food was great, but I was not overly impressed. Maybe the better food was in the specialty diners which would be sad because customer’s come for great food on the cruise ship which is usually inclusive. I also visited the Spa and the GYM. They were on the same @oor but accessed separately. The GYM was nice and had every machine you would want in a GYM. We utilized the facilitiesa couple of times. Got to work o) some of those meals! And the SPA was beautifully done. The 'rst time I walked in someone greeted me and gave me a tour. I liked being acknowledged and the tour answered all my questions. I did visit the Spa after goingto a pamper party. I had a wonderful massage and facial which had me glowing the entire trip. De'nitely make a stop in there if you can. Just do not miss your reservation. It is just like a SPA on land, and you do not want to ruin a good time incurring a charge for a missed appointment. I was on a 7- day cruise and complained about the HDTV every day I was there, and it was not 'xed until day 5. I was disappointed with the complacent regard to my complaint. When they 'nally did send someone to 'x the issue, they did call, and leave a note to follow up with the resolve. The lay-out of the ship was a little odd in that one of the clubs was in the front of the ship above the Captain’s room. When throwing a party in that club they shut it down to move the party to the back of the ship, even though it was a very good party. The party didn’t keep its momentum with the move. I felt there were too many youngsters at the party. I was wondering why the little ones didn’t have their own party room as I have experienced with cruise line. Lastly the club in the back with DJ Remy who could not seem to keep the smoothness of mixing songs and traveling from one genre to the next. I was very disappointed an chose not to participate in this activity which I have loved to participate in on other ships. The excursions I feel were standard to what I have come to expect. We took the transport to Coco Beach and spent the day there shopping, swimming and building sand castles. We went to Paradise Island and visited the water park there. Still fun every time I have gone. And We went to Stir up Cay Norwegian’s private Island. There were many activities to choose from. Food was supplied by the Ship and many bars to purchase drinks with your key card around the island. I really enjoyed that day the most. Overall the trip was nice, and although there are things I am used to I now know what to expect with Norwegian. I will might sail with them again and hopefully next trip will be much better. However, I think I will stick with a more accommodating cruise line that will do the things they should do to make you feel more welcome and want to come back time and time again.

NORWEGIAN GEM