3. Norwegian Gem
Have spent about 75 days on 8 cruises with 5 cruise lines. This was by far the worst in our experience. Food: Went to the Brazilian steak house Moderno and would only recommend the pineapple and beef ribs. I had the crazy idea they would serve steak from Brazil. Thank God we ate at a specialty restaurant early on as the buffet was better and didn't charge. I lost 4 pounds in 4 days as there wasn't very much that was worth eating but plenty of fresh fruits. The food tends to be cold even when your first but if you love pasta, you will be happy with the pasta bar. Cabin: Four times we took cold showers. One night out toilet did not work and I had to insist it was broken before the front desk sent a plumber. The pillows, carpet, bed and sofa had a foul smell. We used towels and an open balcony door to sleep. They changed the pillows and cleaned the rest but this was only good for one night so we slept with our door open every night. On the last night, because of the cold we had to endure another OFF night. Hospitality: Discovered an unauthorized room charge by O'Sheas for a shot of rum and some other alcohol. Had gone to this restaurant before 7am that morning and had BY FAR, the worst cup of coffee and cinnamon bun ever. Simply appalling. One sip and one bite was it. Could not digest it. But that afternoon they manually entered my room number for the bogus liquor charge. Because it was straight shots I wondered whether the bar was short alcohol. When I went to reception to fix the problem, they made me feel like it was my fault. Even though there was no signature and the entry was done manually, they had us waiting for the bar manager until I asked to be reimbursed for my time. Terrible service. Entertainment: Wasn't bad. Embarkation: On islands: Was good. Never waited more than about 5 minutes. Final departure: Terrible. Our departure plans were based on their 10 am arrival but they kicked everyone off the ship before 10 am because they arrived at 8 am. They lied that customs was waiting but we ended up waiting a half hour at customs. They wanted $45 per person for a shuttle to the airports. Rather than pay $90 and have to wait, we booked lyft for $56. Last time on Norwegian.

Was it ever a gem?

Entertainment:

Wasn't bad.

Embarkation:

On islands:

Was good. Never waited more than about 5 minutes.

Final departure:

Last time on Norwegian.
Gerthebear’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Family Balcony
Cabin B2 8032
Used towels instead of the pillows as the cabin had a foul odor. While new pillows helped, the shampooing of the carpet was only good until the deoderizer gave out. Have to sleep with the balcony door open.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins