This was my first cruise with HAL after cruising Celebrity for my last 5 cruises. I chose the cruise for the itinerary- I have always wanted to go to Hawaii and the idea of so many sea days was very attractive. Embarkation in San Diego went smoothly- I arrived at the port around 10:30 and was on the ship by noon. I appreciated being able to go directly to my cabin to drop off my carry-ons before heading to the MDR for lunch. I had booked an inside cabin guarantee and was placed in room 6135, category K. It wasn't the largest inside cabin I've ever stayed in, but it did the job. I liked the ability to request fresh fruit that was refilled throughout the voyage. I didn't like the pull down shelves in the closet- I prefer drawers, but loved the under the bed drawers and multiple USB charging outlets. There was some creaking and shifting noises from the ship but I heard minimal noise through the connecting door and no noise from above or below. The best decision I made was to book a retreat cabana for the length of the cruise. Although I didn't use it much on port days, it was an oasis of calm and relaxation. As a solo traveler, it can be difficult to have to carry all of your things from place to place, lose your spot in the Lido when you go back to the line to get something else to eat, leave your things if you want to go for a swim, etc. The cabana gave me a private spot that was always mine, and both breakfast and lunch service were provided, allowing me to miss the chaos in the Lido. Sparkling wine and chocolate dipped strawberries were delivered each afternoon between 3 & 3:30 People who don't cruise wonder how could I fill up 10 sea days? Very easily, between America's Test Kitchen classes, lectures on Hawaii, cultural activities like lei making and kukui nut bracelet making, and the occasional trivia contest. Hula and Ukelele lessons were offered, with students performing towards the end of the cruise on the main stage. Polyfit (a cross between Zumba and Hula) was offered 4 times and was a great way to work off the desserts and cheese fries from the Dive in. The gym was busy every morning and the full promenade deck saw people doing laps throughout the day. Evening entertainment was mixed. Only 1-2 performers in the main stage were excellent, and while I wanted to love the Billboard onboard piano bar, the nature of their improvisation too often led to discordant music that wasn't enjoyable. Lincoln Center Stage concerts with 4 piece string ensemble plus piano were excellently performed, but it would have been helpful to know what all their concerts were going to be and when so I didn't front-load my trip making sure I didn't miss something. the BB King Blue Club was excellent and where we ended many nights. For you night owls- their last set ends at 11:30 pm, and the DJ who plays after them ends around 12:15, so there isn't much to do late at night. As far as food, the Dive in (burgers, hot dogs, and fries, included) and the Tamarind (Asian-fusion, extra charge) were highlights, as was the Cellar Master's Dinner (extra charge). Food from the Lido was as expected, and food in the main dining room (MDR) was good. New York Pizza (included) and both Canaletto and the Pinnacle (extra charge) were disappointing. The Pizza always took at least 20 minutes and toppings were not evenly distributed to the point were 1-2 out of 6 pieces would only have sauce & cheese, with no other toppings. The crust was too floury. Canaletto had MDR quality food and wasn't work the minimal upcharge. The best thing I ate at the Pinnacle was the side dish of brussel sprouts- let's just leave it at that. All of the Hawaiian ports were fantastic, and the 1 ship excursion I took was a dozen or so people and worth the price I paid. Besides the food, which is always subjective, there was a general lack of consistency throughout the ship that detracted from my overall experience. None of these things were deal-breakers, or ruined my trip, but taken together, created a less than wonderful experience. Some examples include: I had booked 1 dinner in each specialty restaurant before leaving. Upon boarding, I stopped at the Pinnacle to ask how these were scheduled. They scheduled all 3 dinners for me, only for me to return to my cabin later in the day and discover that I had already been scheduled for the first night! This required me to call and have the other dinner cancelled. Since the trip was 18 days, I wanted to take advantage of the laundry service onboard. I searched everywhere in my cabin and couldn't find a laundry bag, so left a note for my cabin steward who provided one. However, he didn't provide a second one to leave in the cabin so I had to ask a second time during the cruise for another one. After asking for the second one, then an extra was provided to leave in the cabin for the future. Upon embarkation, I had 2 long pillows and 2 short pillows on my bed. Sometime in the middle of the cruise, it was changed to 1 long pillow and 3 short pillows, not due to any request of mine. Even though I slept with the long pillow on the same side of the bed every night, it was constantly moved back and forth each day as the room was made back up, requiring me to shift all the pillows back around to my preferred configuration each night. The morning of disembarkation, as the room was being readied while I was in the lido, the 2nd long pillow returned for the next guest. The cabana space is supposed to be for the exclusive use of those who have rented cabanas, yet passengers would wander through whenever they felt like it. Cabana attendants would get them to leave once they saw them, but if they were running an errand, it was up to passengers to ask people to leave. Additionally, items advertised as part of the cabana experience (fans, misters) were not provided. One day juice in the Lido was placed into the wrong sections so instead of Passion Fruit/Orange/Guava juice I got grapefruit juice. Luckily I wasn't on any medications that interact poorly with grapefruit juice. When dining alone in Canaletto and the Pinnacle, I received less attention/service than those tables near me with more than 1 person. This included not reviewing the menu or asking if I had questions & not checking in with me timely to determine if everything was OK. Again, some of these might not seem like a big deal but these were just some examples of the tiny inconsistencies that built up into a larger picture of some improvements being needed. Disembarkation in San Diego went smoothly. The ship says you can remain in your stateroom until your departure info is called, but with the room stewards moving things around and trying to get the cabin ready for the next guest, I was uncomfortable staying and so sat in a public space instead. Although everything wasn't perfect, life never is. This was a very enjoyable cruise where the positives far outweighed the negatives and I would cruise with Holland America again.

Wonderful Itinerary- inconsistent service