• Cheers to 25 years: Celebrate with Us!
  • Find a Cruise

LonesomeTraveller
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Feb 2010
Cabin:

First impression on the dock in Miami was extremely negative. I had been told that a max of 2 bottles of wine was permitted to bring aboard if I have a verifiable celebration during the cruise. The man and woman who told me that I was wrong with this information made me feel like a common criminal. The lady ever wrung her hands hoping to either confiscate the adult beverage or collect $30 from me to allow the wine aboard. At this point, being new to NCL, I thought - no way will I be treated like this for a week and tried to call by driver to get me off this junket. Driver did not answer his mobile, so the cruise began with nothing but very negative feelings. Walking to my stateroom in corridors as narrow as I have ever seen in a commercial vessel, did not make a positive impression either. In fact, the ship seemed cramped in every way - stateroom, gym, bars, casino... But things got much better in three instances - food was in most cases superior; entertainment was better than most at sea and several performers were world class; and staff was wonderful. The only exception to wonderful staff interaction had to do with crowding. We helped rescue an elderly lady who was caught in a serious jamb of people caused by the photographer almost totally blocking a major passage between the theater and main dining rooms. When I reported this at Reception, the young lady said she could do nothing unless I knew exactly where the photographer had been located. I then asked to speak with the Mgr of photo operations. Mike spoke on the phone with me and defended this dangerous situation as necessary to give photographer room to operate. Well, I am certain John O'Hara (a gem of a manager) would not agree with this. I gave up and went about enjoying a lovely but not perfect cruise. Smallest cabin I have ever experienced, and I was paying for two but only me in the cabin. If you are large or overweight don't plan on sitting on the toilet, it is too small a space. And to imagine that this cabin can accommodate 4 people - 2 single (34" wide), a wall mounted bed and a fold away bed under the single beds. Passageways so narrow that two people cannot pass without one turning sideways. Cabin crew were outstanding in every way. Will I sail NCL again? Only if Royal, Holland and Celebrity are not going my way. Ashame, because so much was so very excellent about this cruise.

Port Reviews

Roatan

I would have rated Roatan as a 1 had it not been for 2 things - our amazing guide Howard and the little enclave at the southernmost tip of the island. Howard told us that we could pass along his phone number since he does not have an email address. Phone is 445-07-27. We just lucked into Howard but he made the day most enjoyable, even taking us to his home to see how he lives. Try to spend more time on the western side of the island which is where foreigners have their homes and is much less depressed than the more popular touristy eastern side of the island. But don't miss the Iguana Park and meet the owner, a 4th generation Brit with tons of wonderful stories. At the very end of our day with Howard we saw the beach enclave on the southern tip of the island. It is charming enough that we all (7 of us in our impromptu group) would love to spend a week holiday here at some time.

Belize City

Same rating here as for Roatan - a 1 except for our wonderful tour guide, George. All the private tour guides swarm cruise passengers. We just lucked out and found George, or he found us. He showed us around Belize City as a locall would, and he is a policeman in his regular job. We went to wholsale places, best price liguor stores, saw all the best of a not too wonderful city. If you want a private tour guide he said that he can be reached either at artonbowen@yahoo.com or by phone 501 605 3789.

Find a Norwegian Jewel Cruise from $419