3. Allure of the Seas
My girlfriend and I sailed on a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise Nov 11 on Allure of the Seas. This was our 9th cruise on a Royal Caribbean ship and our first on an Oasis Class vessel. Embarkation We embarked from the brand new Terminal A in Miami. Since it was a new terminal there are still some kinks to be worked out. The traffic flow needs to be looked at critically and adjusted to improve access to the building. Inside there was some confusion about where we were to check in. The check in counters we have seen on earlier cruises were eliminated. Instead there were a series of lines marked “Set Sail Pass Passengers” but no indication of which one to use. Once our documents were checked we had to merge into a long line of passengers which moved fairly quickly. I estimate it took about 30-40 minutes to complete the process. We did not have to provide credit card information and did not have to wait to receive our Sea Pass cards; they were in an envelope on our stateroom door. Stateroom We were in a balcony cabin on Deck 7 on the port side of the ship in a midship location. Most of the storage space was in the closet area - there were veery few drawers available. There were two chairs and a table on the balcony which was of good size. Our luggage was not delivered directly to our room. We located it on the same deck and moved it into our room. Dining We used Anytime Dining which we prefer. Anytime guests eat on the Deck 3 level of the MDR. We ate at a table for 2 every night and were able to eat in the same section and have the same waiters throughout the cruise. I thought the food was decent and there were enough choices between the rotating menu items and the “always available” items. Service was good at dinner but uneven at breakfast. We did not eat in any of the specialty restaurants. I think that they should post the price of eating there on the menu. Options for lunch were limited since many of the venues did not open until mid afternoon. Ports We have been to all of the ports except Roatan at least twice so we viewed the ship as the destination. Unfortunately it rained all day in Roatan so most of the shore excursions were canceled and we stayed on board. In Costa Maya we booked a 2-hour sightseeing tour and although it was not arranged through the Shore Excursions desk, we were able to charge the cost to our Sea Pass accounts. The poverty of this area was very evident. Costa Maya caters almost exclusively to cruise passengers so there is little incentive to build hotels or nice restaurants and bars. Most of what building there is being done is to provide for the people who work inside the enclave. Entertainment This is the first cruise we have been on where it was necessary to make reservations for the shows. I presume this is because of the number of guests on board. We have seen “Mama Mia” both on stage and on film. We did not attend the Aqua show. I think RCI needs to work on their IT. When I tried to make reservations for the comedy show through our interactive TV I kept receiving “Error 9003". This turned out to be because the show was sold out. I am no computer programmer but I don’t think it is too difficult to display “Sold Out” instead of “Error 9003". We did bring this up to Flavio, the entertainment director, and he booked us for the Comedy show, the Blue Planet production show, and the Ice Show. Debarkation The debarkation process was very smooth. Once our number was called, it did not take long to get off the ship, go through Immigration, and retrieve our luggage. We did not have to fill out a Customs form. Again the traffic flow outside the terminal was chaotic but we were able to get a taxi in a reasonable time although the signage pointed in the opposite direction of where we needed to go.

First time on a ship of this size; overall good experience

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by cruisejunky45