3. Majesty of the Seas
Apparently, I had a week to reply to the guest satisfaction survey. Is that an effort by RCCL to minimize their response rate or something? Seems unnecessary. Anyway, if I can't submit a survey, at least I can vent on Cruise Critic, right? Normally, I wouldn't be so picky, but this trip was in celebration of my dad's 75th birthday and it was pretty disappointing. First of all-- The food quality on Majesty is easily the worst I've ever had on a Royal Caribbean ship. And considering that their food quality across the board has gone down in recent years, that's saying a lot. I expect minimal standards in the Windjammer, but even in the dining room-- Steaks were overcooked, chicken tough and dry, salads wilted and overdressed. The late-night pizzeria was OK, but the food in the "deli" was a joke. Very little variety and nothing I'd describe as tasty in the least. The worst, though, was the birthday cake I had ordered for our last night aboard. At $25.00, one would expect to receive something resembling the beautiful cake depicted on the RCCL site (https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/royalgifts/onboard-delivery-product/culinary/celebration-cake/). What they brought us was six wedge-shaped brownies jammed together on a plate and hastily covered in chocolate sauce and whipped cream. Did they run out of cakes? That's somewhat inexcusable, considering I had ordered it many weeks prior. Regardless, they didn't explain or even mention the last-minute replacement. They just plunked down this frankencake in front of my dad, sang happy birthday (off-key) and bolted. What a disappointment! It didn't help that our service in the dining room was some of the worst we've experienced. Our waiter was OK, but the assistant waiter, Juan, was completely lost. Orders constantly mixed up, drink orders not taken or horribly misinterpreted. One night, he asked for my drink order four separate times before he brought it. I was concerned for his mental health. Another nail in the coffin came on the last night as my Dad found, after using the toilet in our suite, that it would not flush. He called guest services. Then my mom called an hour later. Then I called about a half-hour after that. We ended up staying up until 2am-- unable to use the toilet-- waiting for someone to come fix the thing before we finally just left a terse note on the door and went to bed. More than anything, though, I want to communicate to you fellow cruisers how utterly BORING the Majesty of the Seas is. With none of the bells and whistles of other RCCL ships (water slides, carousels, etc), one would think that the cruise staff would try to assemble a fun-filled program of activities to keep everyone entertained. What we found was a smattering of activities during the day and then everything packed into a very narrow window at night. There is apparently no effort given to scheduling shows, games, etc. to ensure that people can actually have dinner and then enjoy an evening of entertainment. Almost all of the activities are scheduled on top of each other within a 3-4 hour timeframe. You're lucky if you can do one or two things in an evening... and after 10pm or so, it's the piano bar or the casino or nothing. No dancing in the lounges. No activities in the Viking Crown Lounge. No parties at the pool. The ship just shuts down for the night. Does this make it easier on the crew or something? Because it's certainly a bummer for the passengers. Whatever the reason, it was a first for me and by the last tedious evening of wandering the Majesty, I decided that our next cruise will definitely not be on a Royal Caribbean ship.

A true disappointment for my Dad's 75th

Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by meast

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom

meast’s Full Rating Summary

Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom
Cabin GS 1358
Nice big balcony, but the room itself was very dated. Refrigerator didn't work. Toilet stopped working. Spent a lot for the suite experience. Expected more.
Deck 10 Suite Cabins