3. Coral Princess
After 20 cruises on Princess chips, this cruise was such an awful experience that I cannot recommend Princess to anyone anymore. This was a 60 day cruise around the north Pacific. It was round trip from Los Angeles, so it was very convenient for west coast travelers. We were able to stop at the following ports: Ketchikan, Juneau, Hoonah, Kodiak, Yokohama, Hiroshima, Tianjin, Incheon, Shanghai, Okinawa, Keelung, Hong Kong, Cai Lan, Chan May, Phu My, Manila, Guam, Honolulu, and Nawiliwili. Most of the passengers were Captains Circle elites. After that, most of the passengers were Captains Circle platinum. Surprisingly, there were a few children onboard. SHIP Years ago, my very first cruise was on the Coral Princess. I really like the Coral Princess. I think the size is ideal. I like the wide, wrap around promenade deck, but unfortunately (due to the weather) it was closed for much of the cruise. I think the casino (and all its lights, noise and smells) should be moved to a deck below the medical center. Don’t worry; the gamblers will find it. And please put the “art gallery” space to good use. No one ever goes in there. Princess can still have their “art” auctions without and “art gallery” onboard. The “library” was just a place for passengers to exchange books. I had to find wi-fi in Okinawa and Honolulu in order to download more e-books, since the Princess internet service could not do it. Some days the internet service did not work at all. CABIN We were in a forward balcony cabin on the Dolphin deck. After 60 days, our hallway was a big family! It was unsettling to have to leave our amazing and adorable cabin steward behind. The cabin itself was in pretty good shape, but ready for some new carpet. We had to have some emergency repairs done on the balcony door. The door seal was broken and the wind blew in like a siren. We had some pretty strong winds. WEATHER And speaking of wind, the weather on this cruise was pretty awful. Alaska was rainy. When we left Kodiak the really good stuff began, and the ship was really rocking and rolling. Our progress was so slow that we had to skip our first port in Japan, Kushiro, and head straight to Yokohama. After a port day in Yokohama, we had a “sea day” anchored in the Yokohama harbor, followed by another port day in Yokohama. The crew TRIED to find entertainment and shore excursions on short notice. When we left Vietnam we raced to avoid a cyclone, and the return across the Pacific was often bumpy. EXCURSIONS We did Princess shore excursions in Tokyo, Hiroshima, Tianjin, Incheon, Hong Kong, Da Nang, Ho Chi Min City, Taiwan, Manilla, and Guam. Our Chinese guide to the Great Wall did not speak English. The Hong Kong guide actually lost us. The other tours were great and worth the investment. DINING We always choose anytime dining and we never had trouble getting a table for two. The service however was so slow it seemed like the waiters were staging a work slow-down. Even in the Horizon Court, it was possible to eat an entire mean without anyone asking if you want a beverage. Best to get your own! The food was pretty awful. The menus repeated and repeated. First they ran out of bananas. On the eight days between Guam and Honolulu, they slowly ran out of fresh fruits and vegetables (lettuce!). On the last morning of the cruise, my “fig compote” was a bowl of crunchy dried figs! Honestly, the best meals on the ship came from the hamburger grill on the pool deck. ENTERTAINMENT I love Elua and we were so lucky to have them on board from Guam to Los Angeles. But otherwise, you wonder who decides what entertainment and when. The enrichment lectures were embarrassing. The production shows were all old repeats. I had seen most of the movies. The scheduling was crazy. If you wanted to attend anything in the Princess Theater or Universe Lounge you needed to find a seat EARLY. SORRY PRINCESS This was not a great cruise. It was a great disappointment. I did not come back new. I was relieved to get off the ship. The rumor was that three people died on this cruise. Perhaps they were lucky.

Sorry Princess