• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

fossicker66
First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Nov 2018
Cabin: Ocean View Balcony

Oh, Mr Porter, what shall I do? I wanted to go to Boston and New York and they've taken me on to the Canary Isles....OK, it doesn't rhyme or fit the tune, but it sums up what happened to us on our first experience of cruising.

My wife and I decided two years ago to blow our savings on a cruise down the Eastern Seabord of the USA. Royal Caribbean International were advertising a 13 night cruise leaving from Southampton in early November, calling at Boston, New York, Port Canaveral and Miami - all places we had never visited, but would very much like to see. We took a deep breath and booked, then waited as the months crawled by, getting excited at the prospect of the Big Adventure ahead. Two weeks before departure, I went in to hospital and we had to miss the sailing. Insurance paid for most of the financial loss, so when an identical cruise was advertised last February, we decided to tempt fate and book up again.

This time we were both fit and well as the day of departure arrived. Unfortunately, as it turned out, the ship wasn't in quite such great shape. Newspapers carried the story of a catastrophic failure of one of the stabilsers which caused hull damage and resulted in the cruise before ours being curtailed for emergency repairs. Then came the storm warnings. Late on the Friday before Monday's sailing our travel agents contacted us to say that because of adverse weather conditions in the Atlantic, the ship would not be calling into Boston, New York or Port Canaveral, but instead would spend time in Belgium and French ports before taking a southerly route to Miami.

Ocean View Balcony

Cabin 6D

We upgraded because so many had cancelled and there were rooms to spare. The cabin was spacious, had lots of storage and the bed was large and comfortable. The balcony was much appreciated, but on the starboard side, so no sun ever!

Port Reviews

Southampton

Not a beautiful part of town, but easy to reach from most parts of the country.

Miami

Just another seaport in a hectic city!

10 Helpful Vote