3. Silver Muse
This is our 6th Silversea cruise, we have sailed on several other cruise lines but SS for the most part. When the Muse was launched, we knew we had to go on it! Something new and hopefully fresh and different from previous cruises. Now that may seem like a negative about previous cruises, but not exactly. Silversea was my first cruise ever and has always held a special place in my heart but after a few cruises, we felt like maybe we didn’t exactly fit in with their usual clientele. Hence, we started exploring other cruise lines to see what else is out there. We are American 46 and 51...a bit on the young side for Silversea. In the past, the cruise demographic never seemed very varied. Primarily Brits , over the age of 70. We had felt that the social life on board was pretty quiet and reserved. Not as friendly as we would like. Well, the Muse blew that out of the water. I dont know if its because of the new ship, bigger size, the itinerary, different marketing?? I dont know, but it was a vast improvement. Super friendly, outgoing, social folks everywhere. There was definitely a livelier vibe on the ship , really good energy that I hadn’t felt on SS before. EMBARKATION: So we flew from Florida to Singapore to board the ship. We spent 3 nights at the Mandarin Oriental in Singapore first. We love SIN and were happy to spend a few days there. We couldn’t find any info from Silversea on which port they use in Singapore. It was pretty frustrating not knowing where to go. We finally looked at cruisemapper to locate the ship. If the info was printed somewhere, we sure couldn’t find it. Otherwise, embarkation was quick and easy like always. FIRST IMPRESSIONS: We LOVE this new ship and hopefully this new design is reflected in future ships and refurbishments of the old ships. The other ships we had done were classy, elegant, but the kind you find at a wealthy grandmas house . It was fine, but a bit dark and not our cup of tea. This new design is gorgeous. Loved the colors, textures, materials. Loved the use of wood looking tile for bathrooms, and many public spaces. The ship is bright, the lighting is great . Very well done! We were getting pretty excited about this trip! Cabins werent ready, so our routine is to eat lunch at the pool grill. Menu had finally been changed and expanded. I ordered the BBQ chicken wrap but didnt care for it at all ,although my partner loved his?? So....? After lunch, we explored the ship and shortly thereafter we went to our cabin. The ship is just gorgeous! CABIN: Typical veranda stateroom size which suits us just fine. Again, it echos the rest of the ship, just beautiful. Lots of storage space, big deep drawers. Lots of counter space in living room area. I don’t like the 2 TVs in the mirror in the living area and the other in front of the bedroom. They are too difficult to see unless the lights are off and curtains pulled. Our other complaint and really biggest complaint is the mattress...so hard! Like really hard! My back was killing me so bad. We requested the egg shell foam thing they can put under the sheets, but apparently there were no more available. Obviously we werent the only ones that thought the beds were hard. The awesome suite attendant put 2 duvets under the sheets and it was more comfortable for the rest of the trip. DINING: I was stressing over this honesty. Food had been hit or miss on past cruises. And not having a main dining room per se, I wasnt sure how all these individual restaurants would work out for us. Atlantide: we ate here twice, first time the filet mignon was cooked to perfection, so delicious and tender, the 2nd time it was over cooked and I didnt care for it. Otherwise both dinners were very good. We also started eating here for breakfast rather than the buffet at La Terraza. It was quieter, more civilized , I dont care for buffets much anyway, food was hotter and service excellent. I highly recommend it, not many folks ate here each morning. Indochine: we ate here twice as well. Restaurant is gorgeous ! Loved the decor. Was never crowded. Food was so good. This is the only restaurant that we heard from a few other passengers that felt like the food was so so....but we didnt find that at all and really enjoyed it ! La Terrazza: we ate here twice for dinner as well. Much lighter and brighter than on other ships. Felt like food was much better and so was service. They had an amazing gnocchi and ossobucco that was to die for! We did breakfast here a couple times until we found Atlantide ...much prefer blast there. We were happy to see that SS could finally get us a cup of coffee before we finished our breakfast! This was something that happened a lot on other ships, very slow coffee service. We had lunch here a couple times, buffet is fine...nothing too exciting. Seabourn does it better. Kaiseki: Ate here once as its $60 per person. It was way too much food for us. It was all very good, but the service takes too long for us and we couldn’t finish most things. As much we enjoyed the food, we wouldn’t do it again at $60/person. La Dame: Did this once...also $60 person. We had eaten at La Champagne on our first cruise years ago, but now it s called La Dame. There was much better selection of items than previous La Champagne restaurant . We really enjoyed it, food wasn’t too much, didnt feel overly stuffed. We really loved it and had wonderful folks sitting next to us that entertained us..again, everyone was so friendly and like to strike up conversations with us at nearly every meal. Silver Note; didnt try it this cruise . Spaccanapoli: we were super tired after a 12 hour excursion to Hanoi, so we got back late and just went for casual pizza night. It was sooo good! And we were the only ones there that night. Its super popular and packed during the day for lunch but for some reason people avoid it at night? Pool Grill: Did this once. We have cooked our steaks many times on the hot rocks, so we dont do it anymore. I prefer someone else cook my dinner. Steak was excellent as were the sides. It was pretty chilly and we had to move our table as it got drizzly , but still a nice night. ENTERTAINMENT AND ACTIVITIES: We dont play shuffle board or bridge or trivia or any of that. We did go to a couple lectures by an amazing guy who did lectures on Vietnam...he was one of the best lecturers I have ever heard. Guests talked about him all the time every day on the ship. Everyone thought he was fascinating, and his material moved at a good pace. He was phenomenal! We usually try to hit the casino but didnt make it in . We peeked in one night, it was very quiet and notthat big. SHOPS: Well unless you are in the market for jewelry or a lady, not much there for men . A handful of things, terrible marketing for Silversea. Just lousy for men or people that even want a few souvenirs or snacks or something. Lame. SERVICE: Was very good. We were fortunate to recognize some staff that we have sailed with before on other SS ships. It s like seeing family you haven’t seen in a long time. Always made us feel welcome..so warm and gracious. Really couldn’t fault anyone . Staff seems to really be happy on this ship and they will tell you how much they love it. I imagine a new ship is more user friendly, things dont break etc. Plus they have bars in every restaurant now..so smart. Before they would have to run front the restaurants to the main bar to get a cocktail for you if you didn’t want wine. PORTS AND EXCURSIONS: Well, I could write tons on this but I will just say please book a trip to Vietnam ! It was fantastic! We got our own guilds for Saigon, but did ship excursions for others ports. Such a fascinating country! FINAL THOUGHTS: This cruise renewed our excitement and interest in Silversea again! We loved the ship and will look for future cruiees primarily on the Muse or any of the newer ones. This ship really suited our style. The passenger demographic was much more diverse. There were people from all over , not one nationality seemed to prevail. There was also a better age mix than previous SS cruises. The vibe and energy on the ship was great and seemed a bit more relaxed than previous stuffy cruises we have done in the past. Hopefully this trend will continue.

Different Silversea experience than previous cruises....for the better!

Silver Muse Cruise Review by Tarwood3

CABIN:

DINING:

Kaiseki:

La Dame:

Silver Note; didnt try it this cruise .

Pool Grill:

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Tarwood3’s Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Verandah Suite
Cabin DV 836
Gorgeous , they really did a good job with the decor. Love all the new storage drawers. Bathroom is beautiful with lots of storage. Nice size shower and tub. Didn’t like the hard mattress. And didnt like the tv in the mirror...so hard to see.
Deck 8 Suite Cabins

• City Tour
    Very long 12 hour tour but so worth it! Hanoi is so different from Saigon. Fascinating to see. Really liked it.
    View All 28 City Tour Reviews