3. Carnival Legend
This was our first cruise with Carnival and I have to say that I think it was our least favorite. That's not to say that it was bad, it just did not come up to the standard, overall of other cruises we have been on, this being our seventh cruise. Embarkation was smooth, but very little information was displayed and the staff did not tell you much at check-in. Other cruise lines issue the room key at check-in, but Carnival have it an envelope at your door which was not told to us until we asked and two different people told me different things???, The decor of the ship is......... how do you say.................unusual. Very dark and very unusual to the point of being gourde. Not to everyone's taste I am sure. Dark wall panels, lots of ancient style paintings and most of the coulombs were made to look like an urn. Our room was spacious and well appointed and the hotel staff, as always were excellent. The room was well laid out and even if it is the same size a other cabins we have been in it appeared larger and more spacious. We chose an inside cabin and ended up with a window with an obstructed view which was excellent. No you did not have a view of the ocean, but a large window with a view where you could see the sea whooshing by. Much better than just an inside cabin. The food, while of good quality, was not as good a variety as we expected. The Lido deck was very popular and busy and the amount of food outlets was too small to cater for the numbers. The free Pizzas and Hamburgers were good, but the wait could be considerable. The Truffles restaurant menu was not very appealing so I think most people chose to eat in the Lido deck buffet. As to the bar service, Carnival have chosen to have seats all around the bar leaving no room for service. Lots of people buy drink packages now and particularly on the first night you could not get near the bar. They need to take out three or four seats and have a sign "Service Only" so others can get to the bar and the bar tenders know who is next in line. Bar staff were very busy all the time because lots of people order cocktails, which take time to make. I just wanted a beer and my wife a wine, so we are always waiting for ages to get served, and only take a few minutes to serve and be on our way. The price for the three day cruise we did out of Melbourne was quite expensive for the three days. We have been on two day cruises that were a quarter the price. Overall, we enjoyed the cruise and the break, but of the seven cruises we have done this would be our least favorite. It would be appealing to people with children as they cater well for the younger set ad they boast that their cruise line carries the most families and children. Although very busy, all the staff were very helpful, happy and extremely hard working and we have no complaints about any of the staff.

Some hits and some misses

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by radarz

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Interior with French Door (obstructed views)

radarz’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Legend price drops

Interior with French Door (obstructed views)
Cabin 4K 4137
Spacious room and well laid out. The bed we near the window which allows you to walk into space, rather than first getting to the bed. This made for a spacious feel, even if the room was the same size as others.
Main Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Melbourne
    Station Pier itself is quite acceptable for embarkation and disembarkation. However the area of Port Melbourne is very compact and when the cruise ships are in it is chaos. Public transport is limited to a 109 Tram and if you are attempting to get to the city it can be very crowded. Cruise lines offer transfers and if you are in doubt I would suggest you use the transfer. We travels to Southern Cross Station by tram and it was packed very quickly. Once at Southern Cross it is an easy train ride to anywhere, or if heading to the airport the Skybus leave from Southern Cross Station.
    View All 217 Melbourne Cruise Port Reviews