Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Brian P

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony

This is our 12th cruise and we chose Getaway because the dates fit in nicely with vacation tume that our friends were taking. We were yet to have traveled to the Eastern Carribean, after coming off the Escape last Feb. we were very excited about Norwegian as we had a ball on that ship.

Embarkation was the smoothest of any ship I have been on. Very organized and boarding was on time, in fact ahead of schedule.

Decor and cleanliness of shop is top notch. Even though this shop is "little sister" to Escape in some aspects I liked the decorating better. The staff was friendly but at times felt overworked especially at the bars and in the spa.

Thermal suite was just ok. I found the decor a little spartan as it is all blueish grey with little artwork, or plants, and missed having the snow room. Did not have the large window views like Escape, relaxing music, etc. It eas adequate but a step down.

Pools and slides were good, and my wife especially enjoyed the ropes course.

Activities lacked a bit......unless you like latin music because everything seems latin themed. This ship is a big floating Miami in my opinion. I wish they might have had a country night, 70's/80's party etc. but it was latin and latin pop everywhere you went.

Million Dollar Quartet is a must see but Burn the Floor I could take or leave. Again, I had my fill of sambas, salsas, and meringue for the week.

Food wise.....Teppanyaki, Moderno, Cagney's were spot on. So much good food I could write another review on them alone! Tropicana Room was nice. La Cucina was fair. I had the veal scalliopine which was so-so. As to the buffet it was absolutely to the high standard NCL sets.

We had a spa mini suite which was excellent. Larger balcony than on Escape, and exact same layout. We will get this m9 class everytime as thr larger shower and thermal suite passes are well worth the money.

Ports were a let down. Both St. Thomas and Tortola have not recovered well from hurricane damage. There is not alot to see but damage. In St. Thomas we went to Coki beach which although had great snorkeling was very overcrowded. In Tortola I recommend taking catamaran trip to Jost Van Dyke.

The ship I would rate a solid 4. It did seem at times understaffed, but it was efficiently organized. The ports were a 2. Beautiful weather but not much to see except reconstruction and devastation. It was kind of sad.

Brian P's Full Rating Summary

Spa Mini-Suite with Balcony

Excellent value, decor, very clean. Nice big shower and bathroom. I will always try to get this class of cabin

Brian P