3. Norwegian Gem
This is my 15th cruise, spread over 5 cruise lines. My third NCL and most likely my last NCL. Where to start.... It’s no secret that NCL nickels and dimes you to no end, however they have reached new lows. I understand that it’s a business that needs to make a profit but NCL needs to learn that they must provide a service, and in this business a good service to compete. Most people have the beverage package, which NCL charges a 20% gratuity. Well, trying to find someone to serve you on this ship is near impossible and when you do, they’re expecting cash tips from you. On Other cruise lines I have actually been annoyed at how many servers asked me if I needed anything to drink, well I miss that service ! I don’t really blame the workers as most of them are working as hard as they can, it’s just that bars and restaurants are severely understaffed. Dinner in the complimentary dining rooms is not very impressive food and not very impressive service. So, you pay a fee and go to the a la carte restaurant. Well, the food is much better however, the service is ridiculously slow. Waiters are literally running trying to cover their tables and often forget you. And then when they see you’re unhappy ( in my case waiting an hour for my medium cooked steak that finally arrived near raw) they become nervous that perhaps you will complain to their supervisors.... just making things worse. Pools ( when actually open) are dirty .... one example is my wife and I sat on the sun deck and people beside us spilled their drink and some food.... well that food stayed there for 2 days before being cleaned up..... never saw that on other cruises. Garbage and recycling bins around the bar area drip all over the deck being over filled and never emptied with half finished drinks etc. I can go on and on, but the fact is, it will take a super cheap price to get me to even consider doing another NCL again.... I work too hard for my money and knowing how other cruise lines take care of their customers for the same money.... it’s no contest.

NCL falling further behind other cruise lines

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by mommasita

mommasita’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Family Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin O1 5098
Clean, comfortable but extremely noisy as it’s under a main dining hall and I assume they’re working thru the night.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins