The cruise was chosen for the itinerary - a journey around some of the islands of French Polynesia - not because we specifically wanted to travel with Holland America.
What we liked:
- islands did not disappoint, itinerary was good (one island was missed due to swells)
- Bed quite comfortable, choice of two types of pillow
- Balcony good (very private);
- Shower fine
- Tried to use bath - ok but small and difficult to get in and out of (and we have no mobility issues)
- Plenty of hanging space for clothes
- Cabin not terribly spacious for a 'suite'
- Decor and soft furnishings need an update (although the carpet seemed new)
- TV and DVD player basic and situated in a difficult position
- Power outlets limited
Papette is an interesting port, although it has its shortcomings, for instance, virtually everything is shut on a Sunday. If you are there on a Sunday, you need to have a tour of the island booked, unless you want - are able to - hang around the ship. If it is a weekday, the central market is one of the most interesting places to visit.
We have been to Moorea before. Then we took a half-day tour of the interior of the island, this time we simply went to a local beach using a taxi share with another couple for $5 USD each.
As an atoll, it was a very interesting contrast to the previous mountainous island, Nuku Hiva. Walked to the public beach and had a great time swimming around. Otherwise there is not a lot to do.
We had been to Bora Bora before when we did a Moto (island) break. This time we decided to relax at a local beach that we reached by a local bus for $5 USD each. Enjoyed the best coconut smoothie we will probaly ever have and the beach was fantastic.