3. Carnival Legend
This is my first Cruise review of any kind. This latest cruise was my third with Carnival. Sailing date was 4/23/2004. I had previously been on the Destiny in 2000 and the Triumph in 2002. I can confidently say this was by far the worst cruise I have ever been on and my last with Carnival. I will attempt to keep this brief. We were cruising to Bermuda and then Newport, Rhode Island for 6 days out of New York. The embarkation was typical. Took about an hour. As for the Ship it was a typical large Carnival Ship. A lot of wasted space. It really did not seem well built as my Wife and I toured the entire Ship from front to back. Seems like they were rushing when they built it. We found many flaws. The hallways were terrible. You would be constantly running into people as the Hallways were not straight from one end of the Ship to the other but were in sections due to extended Balconies I presume. It was constant right and left hand turns and Boom, running into someone around the corners. You have to be on this ship to fully appreciate what I'm saying. The stairs at the front of the ship were like 6-7 inches in length. This was strange and a major problem for me since I wear size 12 in shoes. It was difficult for me to walk down these stairs without falling. Also we had some rough seas for one day which was nothing major as compared to a previous Cruise yet this ship was creaking as if we were in a Hurricane. It was amazing to listen to. Here is a brand new Ship which sounded like it was about to break apart do to some semi rough seas. The creaking was so loud in those Hallways it was freaky. The previous Ships did not have this problem. We felt the ship had some major structural problems. It's obvious they rushed building it. We had a Room with a Balcony. It was ok. The Balcony was not long enough for me to stretch my 6'3" frame out on which was a disappointment. It was clean though. Two twin Beds pushed together. No complaints there really. We had the late seating dinner which we always have. Another problem with this Ship is that they only have one Dining Room. The caused the one Dining Room to be very overcrowded and many people feeling they were out in the boondocks away from any action going on. Previous Ships had two Dining Rooms which worked out better for everyone. We assume they switched to one Dining Room to cut staff. Now for my first major complaint. The Midnight Buffet. Actually they do not even call it a midnight Buffet anymore which is appropriate. It consisted of Pizza/Calzone and some sandwich meat. That's about it. My first Cruise on the Destiny in 2000 the midnight Buffet was something everyone looked forward to. The amount and variety of Food available at that time was mind boggling. Now it is truly a joke. My Wife tells me the midnight Buffet was even better on the Ecstasy in 1997 on her first Cruise with Carnival. People loved it, looked forward to it, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now it is not even worth going to. Again we assume this is cost cutting by Carnival. The service and Food in the dining Room was fine. My second major complaint was the entertainment and activities on board. This was another joke. Our days at sea consisted of bingo and hairy chest competitions. Total waste of time and very boring. Also before we left for our cruise we contacted Carnival by phone and were specifically told that there would be only one formal night for dinner. We packed accordingly. When we arrived on the ship we found out there were actually two formal night. To say the least we were very upset by this situation (especially my wife). We spoke to a Woman at the pursers desk only to be met with blank stares. Then to make matters worse they misprinted which nights were formal night in the daily carnival capers pamphlet. Causing half the people to show up to dinner dressed to kill and the other half dressed casual. Why couldn't carnival make a simple announcement over the ships intercom that there was a misprint and correctly inform the customers. Total incompetence. They DO NOT care about their customers. It's also obvious that they have a very low opinion of their customers as we were shocked when we sat at out table for dinner in the formal dining room and found only one fork and one knife along side the plate. YES, FOLKS, you get ONE FORK and ONE KNIFE for the appetizer, dinner and desert. I kid you not. We were stunned by this as on previous Carnival cruises we always had three forks and three knifes at the dinner seating. It seems Carnival feels their customers do not have enough class to mind and they may be right from witnessing the people on board with us. Also the waiter was the worst we ever had. He even tried to avoid giving us the paper place mat with the picture of the Legend the last night of the cruise. We noticed every other table was getting theirs except us We waited and waited knowing he was trying to avoid giving it to us. Finally we had to go over to the Maitre'D and request it. We ended up only getting one when we were suppose to get one for each of us. The shows at night have really gone down hill from the past. The comedian was pretty good. But the other shows with the dancers are not nearly as good as they were as Carnival has added singers to these shows who leave a lot to be desired. I grade the overall entertainment on board a D and that is being liberal. My Wife was also very disappointed. Now for my main complaint which has caused me to state I will never Cruise with Carnival again. I became sick with severe stomach cramps and diarrhea from Saturday night's 4/24/04 dinner through Sunday morning. My Wife requested something from the infirmary such as Lomotil or Immodium, but was only given Kaopectate. After taking the Kaopectate, it resolved the problem through the day on Sunday so we were able to enjoy our first day in Bermuda. After returning to the ship Sunday night, I again began having more severe stomach cramps and diarrhea. We had not eaten any of the food in Bermuda. Around midnight Sunday, I called the infirmary and stated that I needed Lomotil or Immodium and medication for the abdominal cramps. The nurse was reluctant to give any medication at all, and recommended Kaopectate again. I had to make numerous phone calls to this nurse who finally grudgingly agreed to give my Wife Lomotil, but stated there would be a $50.00 charge for it. She asked if I had a temperature. Since my Wife is a Registered Nurse and certainly can tell if someone has a temperature, I told her I did NOT have a temperature, just the diarrhea and stomach cramps. She then stated it was not a professional diagnosis and I had to go to the infirmary. I was too weak to go, as the infirmary was at the other end of the Ship. The nurse then stated that I would be quarantined to my stateroom and not be allowed to leave the Ship or the stateroom for 24 hours. Medical clearance would only be given on Tuesday morning. I asked the Nurse if I felt better the next morning could I go on shore to Bermuda and was told NO. This caused us to miss our second day in Bermuda which was the main reason we went on this cruise to begin with. All the compensation we received from Carnival was free pay-per view movies for the 24 hours of which the selection was horrible. Who wants to watch movies when you are in Bermuda? We were forced to stay in the stateroom. She also threatened that if I attempted to leave the ship while docked in Bermuda on Monday, I would have my sign and sail card taken away. Mind you the nurse made this judgment without ever seeing me. We feel this was done as retaliation for awakening her from her sleep on Sunday night as she had a major attitude problem through this entire episode. On Tuesday Morning, we went to the infirmary and the nurse asked when I last had the diarrhea and I told the nurse that it had stopped Monday morning. She proceeded to give me medical clearance and said sarcastically "Now you can enjoy the rest of your cruise." This entire episode was outrageous and totally mishandled. Bottom line is I got sick from food served by Carnival and should NOT be penalized for it. I called Carnival's guest relations department and was given the expected excuses. They said they would send me a voucher for $50 off my next Carnival Cruise as well as a free excursion. Whoopee. Carnival, you can keep your $50 discount and free excursion. You lost not only my Business as well as my Wife's. I will never cruise with you again.

Carnival Legend - Bermuda