3. Grand Classica
Took this cruise as a quick family getaway. We live locally yet we have never tried this ship. We are experienced cruisers having taken all the major cruise lines at some point. Check in (shoreside) was a little bit on the slow side (they were having issues using their tablets to take pics of our passports) but once that was done we grabbed a boarding picture, confirmed our dining table and we were onboard! I recommend getting your drink package online when you book. This will save you time. Staff will try to hound you about buying a drink package once onboard but all I had to say was I already purchased one. Booked a Suite which was worth the extra money. The room was large, clean & cold a/c. The ship herself is old school and in a good way. Beautifully appointed, attentive staff, nothing looked worn or beat up. She felt like a mega private yacht than a budget cruise ship....my feelings anyway. Meals were excellent. Good variety in the Buffett. Food was flavorful & hot. Main dining room & staff took pride in their service. Dinners were excellent. For an extra charge I ordered a small Filet (steak) which as good as any major steakhouse (Capitol Grille, Mortons, etc). The pizza is really good even though charges apply. Our family likes to game and we found the Casino to be clean and staff pleasant. Both nights we would take over a Blackjack table prior to the show and then afterwards. And reasonable prices. They offer $5.00 & $10.00 minimum tables. Try finding that at Hard Rock.....yeah, good luck! The onboard entertainment was suprisingly very good. Both nights we enjoyed an excellent show. I think the only way that could have topped their performance is if they had a live orchestra but you'll be hard pressed to find one even on the major lines nowadays. I won't really comment on Freeport since my focus is the ship experience. The area is still pretty beat up from Hurricane Matthew back in 2016. Since we (wife & I) booked a Suite we were invited (they later allowed my entire family...13 persons total) to visit the Bridge while we were docked at Freeport. Then to top it off they allowed us to remain on the Bridge while we maneuvered out of our slip and proceed out the main channel. Captain Hansen was a riot doing pull ups on his chin up bar that is welded to the ceiling of the Starboard bridge wing!.....no joke! He was completely professional but also didn't take himself too seriously. He loves to entertain. He made sure we were involved and had a great experience. He even made my Aunt press the ship's horn ( 3 times for astern) when we backed out from the dock. It was an incredible. We all left the Bridge feeling like celebrities. If nothing more book a Suite for this experience alone! Especially if you're a ship buff like myself. Overall our experience was an excellent one! Our expectations were more than met. As a result we are looking forward to a return trip in January 2019. Kudos & accolades to the ship, her officers & crew for providing outstanding service. So, if you're even slightly interested in going then go!

Grand Classica rocks!

Grand Classica Cruise Review by CaptMatthew

• Sail Date: November 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas

So, if you're even slightly interested in going then go!
CaptMatthew’s Full Rating Summary