Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by DPCJ2

• Sail Date: Nov 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Spa Balcony Stateroom

We have done Disney Cruise Line (Dream) in the past and I had wonderful experience. It made we want to do more cruises with my kids. The value of Norwegian Getaway 7 day eastern Caribbean seemed good. However, it was just ok and a bit disappointing.

Ship: Seemed nice. Very clean for the most part. Felt spacious.

Cabin: Spa Balcony. Smallish. I wish there was a better option for kids bed. I miss the one on Disney that folds down. The sofa mattress was pretty uncomfortable. Cabin attendant was excellent and did a great job with the room, towel animals, etc.

Outdoor facilities: Ropes course and waterslides were great. Best waterslides of any ship I've been on. Hours need to be extended...particular on the climbing wall and ropes course. Long lines at times. Waterslide lines weren't too bad.

Hot tubs: Not enough. Unfortunately always seemed full of small children or intoxicated loud adults.

Spa: Very loud and not relaxing. Thermal suite/hot tub/lounge area extremely noisy. Lots of loud drinking adults. Someone smashed a glass. One very small hot tub. Rarely ever enough of the heated lounge seats.

Vibe: We got a cabana (arrive early to get one). Attendant was great. Hot tubs much more relaxing there. However, was closed 4 days of our cruise due to wind.

Shows: Burn the floor was good...better than I expected. My kids liked it a lot too.

Food: Soooooo slow. Meals (other than buffet) too forever. Plan over 2 hours to eat a meal. Food, drinks and deserts take forever to come. Don't plan on a second drink. The best were Cagny's and Taste/Savor. Worst was Moderno. I love Brazilian grill...my favorite food. This was awful. Cold chewy meats they cut off in big chunks. I think the problem is the way a ship kitchen works does not lend itself to churrascurria. Perhaps it was the location of our table. Who knows. However, we were there for 2 hours with our table card flipped to green for almost the entire time and only tried 3 of the meats (which were cold and rubbery). We ended up walking out. Probably our most disappointing night of the entire cruise. Buffet (garden cafe) is large with many options. Its a better buffet than many other cruises I've been on. Cucina was a bit generic. We joked around calling it the Olive Garden. Taste and Savor were decent but slow.

Kids program: On a previous cruise, our kids never wanted to leave the kids club. This just wasn't as inviting. The facilities were very bare and not terribly inviting. While they had some very good staff, at times some seemed very bothered to have to entertain the kids. This would have been unthinkable on our previous cruise. There was some type of kids club circus that my kids weren't involved in. On previous cruises, we had difficulty getting our kids to leave the kids club area. On this cruise, I felt bad leaving my 9 year old sometimes. The activities didn't always seem age appropriate enough. Perhaps it would have been better in the older group.

DPCJ2's Full Rating Summary

Spa Balcony Stateroom

Very well kept by excellent steward.

Miami

Very busy and somewhat chaotic outside port. Inside building much better.

St. Thomas

Maegan's Bay was wonderful. Beautiful relaxing day.

Nice beach. A bit crowded but still nice.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Atlantis Resort

Its very nice and a great half day but is so short. I wish it was a whole day. We rented a cabana and it just seemed so great...and then it was over 4 hours later.

View All 765 Atlantis Resort Reviews