3. Insignia
We chose this NEWEngland/Canada cruise because of the Oceania reputation and the quieter atmosphere of a smaller ship. Oceanis surely scored very high in terms of their wonderful staff, excellent dining room, and delicious food. While some aspects of the Fall Wonder tour were great, none of the great things included the ship itself and certainly not the poor decision made by the Captain to cruise into a Nor’easter. Best aspects include a wonderful team of servers, cabin stewards, and crew; these young people deserve an A +. Also excellent was the dining in the Grand Dining Room and the cuisine. However, while no one can blame the Captain for the terrible weather -including a nasty storm - the decision to leave a safely docked port in St John and cruise through a terrible storm in order to reach a destination which would not even allow us to dock was a reckless error. The night of the storm was no less than terrifying. The next day, as both glassware and unsteady humans fell to the floor there was not a word from the Captain to reassure anyone...only the messages announcing that we had no port to enter. Out of eight possible ports we missed four. Instead of one sea day we had four. No Happy hour offer could appease the disappointment of those who could admit to themselves that this trip was a loser.A valuable lesson for me was that for any future cruise I must do more research. Tonnage really matters in the middle of a Nor’easter. Insignia did not handle the Atlantic in a manner that helped six hundred passengers to feel safe.The loss of enjoyment with the port cancellations was disappointing, but the genuine fear for the personal safety of the people on that ship was a black memory I will never forget. Should I cruise again I will research the ship long before I book...and I will not return to Insignia.

No Fall Wonder. Fall Danger Instead.

Insignia Cruise Review by Stansbop

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: USA
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean View
Stansbop’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Insignia price drops

Deluxe Ocean View
Cabin C2 4000
Beautifully attended to by our stewards who went out of there way to ensure our comfort. Jennifer and Nourman were professional and very friendly .Excellent bed and bedding.Sufficient storage. Bathroom very tiny but spotlessly clean. The cabin was just too small and the bathroom too small as well.
Deck 4 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins