3. AmaSonata
We chose this cruise based on the recommendation of our cruise agent and the itinerary (we really wanted to visit Prague). We have been on almost a dozen ocean cruises prior to this adventure. The ship was clean and had a minimal draft. This was important because it allowed us to cruise the Danube while several other lines could not. We could not start in Nuremberg as planned due to low water levels in the Main-Danube Canal. The first two stops were wiped out but AMA did everything they could to find alternate stops for us. They also offered a complimentary tour of Salzburg. Dejan, our cruise director, kept us as updated on river levels as he could. He was a tireless worker and seemed to be at his desk or on a tour bus all the time. His enthusiasm was contagious. Minor negative comments - my wife had two wine choices at every meal. I had hoped to experience German and Czech beers as well. There were only five beers offered; one gluten free, another was alcohol free and a third I can buy in Canada (and don't like it here). On board entertainment - AMA brought on some great performers during our cruise. However, at every show guests decided to speak at full volume around the bar or just behind it. I turned around once and asked them to allow us to listen to the performance. They glared at me, moved to the next table, and then spoke even louder. Dejan had appealed for us to appreciate the entertainers. I wish everyone had listened. There is a note in the cabin washrooms about water conservation. We hung up our towels on the racks every day but still got fresh towels. I thought about hiding the towels but we would have probably have just had double left. Either take the sign down or respect the guests' wishes. The excursions were mostly well done, well presented and informative. Our guide for Salzburg spoke about the Sound of Music as if we had all seen it the previous week. Our guide in Grein (an alternative stop) rambled on a bit too much. The food, for the most part, was excellent. My wife and I both felt that we directed too quickly to the buffets at breakfast and lunch. We preferred to order off the menu. Embarking and disembarking were smooth and easy. Highlights - sitting on the upper deck floating through the Wachau Valley watching the wineries and castles go by. "Shoes on the Danube" display - tragic and moving. The bike tour in Vienna was enjoyable and just the right amount of exercise. Would we do another river cruise? Not sure. After a while, the castles/cathedrals/churches all seem to look alike. We have nothing to compare AMA to as far as river cruises go, but we did not feel "wowed". But even as I write this, I cannot give any specific examples as what they could have done to "wow" us. Maybe the amount of money you pay for a river cruise is justified in the peace and lack of hassles we had.

Our First River Cruise

AmaSonata Cruise Review by edmark

Embarking and disembarking were smooth and easy.

edmark’s Full Rating Summary