Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by Chris5268

• Sail Date: Oct 2018
  • Destination: the Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom

We were fortunate enough to jump on a fantastic offer after Black Friday/ cyber Monday that included unlimited drink package, kids free, 3 specialty dining, free WiFi, and shore excursion credits. With a group of 25 of us we jumped all over this offer.

Let me begin with the positives. The on boarding of the ship was very smooth and fast. The Getaway is one of the newest ships in the Norwegian fleet. It had many restaurants to choose from. With a large party be sure to book reservations ahead of time. We had no issues getting in and the service was fantastic. The specialty restaurants we tried were Oceans seafood, Cagneys steak house, and Wasabi sushi.

Just a heads up Wasabi is normally not included in the specialty dining. If your counting this in your specialty dining you have to let them know and it’s a $7pp uncharged. Coming from someone who eats sushi every week it’s worth passing on. The entertainment staff and cruise director Mandy were fantastic. Be sure to catch Deal or no Deal so fun. The obstacle course, walk the plank, and zip lining was awesome! The kids also enjoyed the rock climbing. Water slides were a huge hit. The bar tenders were fantastic never an attitude like some of the all inclusive resorts I’ve been to. They made drink after drink with a smile. The Glow party was very fun. Bring your glow sticks and go crazy.

The front service counter was fantastic. If there was an isssue with the bill they took care of it.

Now let me touch on the negatives.

1) kids clubs- ages of the clubs need to change. Most siblings aren’t 2 years apart and splitting them up when they don’t know any other kids is a bit nerve wrecking. I understand maybe a younger kid not moving up but a older kid should have an option to go down. The ages of the clubs were 6-9 10-12 13-17 They should be flexible based on sibling/ friend situations. Kids weren’t able to experience because of this. Honestly I barely saw any kids in there and probably why.

2) There’s only 2 pools

Kids can’t even be at main pool. Adult only signs weren’t very visible

If we want to swim w kids it has to be in kids pool.

3) wasabi- not sure why only 1 chef during peak dinner but it was very slow. (Chef apppologized on slow service)

Staff should mention to guests wishing to use this as a specialty dining package option it’s $7 pp

4) - Nacho’s we’re horrible. Runny cheese, a speck of sour cream, 1 jalapeño. Worst I ever had. If you want low quality bar food you found it here

5) room service - food was very poor not sure if this is from O’Sheehans kitchen But microwaved pizza, grilled cheese sandwiches that were triple decker bread with a half of a cheese square barely toasted. Trust me try one you’ll hand it right back. It was horrible. The only thing worth raving about were the wings.

6) My wife and I celebrated our anniversary on the cruise. Our friends contacted Norwegian and paid for our suite to be decorated along with chocolate strawberries. The strawberries never arrived we weren’t aware of that until after we got home. They didn’t even include the card our friends had them write out. Zero clue who made this happen until our friends brought it up to us when we arrived home. There has to be a better system for this to go smoother. This seems to be a huge issue amongst all cruise lines since I had the same issues.

To sum it up the cruise was a great time. The staff was attentive and friendly. Yes, there were some minor issues and complaints but for the most part a success. Would I Cruise Norwegian again? Yes, I would.

So don’t hesitate go party like rock stars and have a nice vacation

Chris5268's Full Rating Summary

Aft-Facing Balcony Stateroom
Cabin B1 12864

The suite was fine. The Balcony was smaller than other suites I’ve been in but I’d stay in it again.

Snorkeling

Scott and his crew were fantastic. They took us to 3 different snorkeling locations. Served lunch and drinks. Highly recommend them.

View All 79 Snorkeling Reviews