• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

cruiseloverfromlondon
10+ Cruises • Age 40s

Sail Date: Oct 2018
Cabin: Balcony

Ok, so, I'd read quite a few negative reviews on this site about Carnival Horizon which made me really not look forward to my cruise. I was expecting a ship with a horrible clientele, rude crew, awful food, a Sky Ride that didn't work and unclean public spaces. What I got was quite the opposite. I loved this cruise from start to finish. I loved the Dr Seuss waterpark and waterslides (my 13 year old daughter spent hours here whenever we were on board); I loved the Sky Ride too. I was expecting it to be a gimmick that wasn't too exciting, but it was much better than anticipated, whizzing up at certain points like a rollercoaster ride and taking me dizzyingly over the sea as well. I didn't try the high ropes course, but my daughter did - she found it tamer than other ships, but still liked it.

Yes, the swimming pool areas were busy (although the slides never got too busy when we were there) but it you want to find a quiet sun bed, there are plenty of spaces where you can get away from the throng.

Other reviews said that the bar staff didn't want to serve them. I didn't find this the case at all. I found ALL crew extremely friendly and bar staff were even happy to serve me regular iced waters for free.

Balcony

Cabin 8D

Our cabin was a standard balcony cabin, but I thought it was very spacious for a standard cabin. Beds were good/good mattresses; lots of storage space. Big shower. I don't like the clingy curtains, but at least our bathroom floor didn't get wet once from the shower! I liked the decor of the cabin too - less boring than on other ships, with splashes of colour and palm trees on the duvet covers. And in the corridors of cabin decks there were murals on walls between the cabins with pictures of Caribean scenes - i liked this too. It was unusual and set this ship apart from others.

Port Reviews

La Romana (Casa de Campo)

We took ourselves to the Casa de Campo resort (a deluxe hotel a short taxi ride from the port). They do day passes

https://www.casadecampo.com.do/vacation-packages-offers/daytour/ and we hung on their beach and went riding in their ranch

The horseback riding cost the following:

½ hour - US$39.00 p/p

1 hour - US$74.00 p/p

2 hour - US$116.00 p/p

This was a lovely day away from the crowds of the ship

7 Helpful Votes