3. Norwegian Dawn
We have cruised three times. Recently our family of 20 cruised Boston to Bermuda on the ship named Dawn. We were advised by many friends to not take this cruise. That we would be well served to drive to NY and take the alternative options. The logistics of geting 20 people to NY timely was too difficult. This was a fatal mistake. The ship was old, but not awful. The staff was poorly trained, leaving us to struggle with every reservation we made, from dinners to excursions. The irony was all the employees presented like their number one goal was to provide high quality service, but then had no knowledge, skill or authority to do so. When problems arose, they smiled and redirected you to another desk. I have since tried to resolve issues at the "corporate guest relations", and now I know why the employees on the front line are inept! A few specifics: Do not book a large group for the cruise, as they will not book your cabins together, no matter how many calls your Travel Agent makes. Do not book your Excursions thru the ship. They do not inform you of the regulations and are not consistent with allowing passengers to get off ship. Our 15 year old son was getting on and off the ship with various family members for three days, but one day he was not allowed off, without his parents. The employees decided it was safest to keep our son on ship without family, rather than allowing him to attend the fishing excursion with his uncle and cousins. This resulted in the rest of the family returning prematurely from a dinner half enjoyed in Hamilton. Very expensive dinner not eaten. Also costing family $150 in the unused fishing ticket. NCL refuses to reimburse any of the expense, even though the Excursion Marketing (running non stop on the TVs) pushes how this is the safest most secure way to enjoy your excursions. Making a dinner reservation took a PHD. We would book dinner, and occasionally need to make an adjustment to the number of people coming or location. The employee at the desk could never find the original reservation. The software was so outdated, that the employee could not see any previous messages, without scrolling thru excessive unrelated messages to our party. We got to the point where we requested a printed receipt of the reservation commitment, which was the only way we successfully dined at two of the upgrade restaurants. I think the dinner upgrade package is not intended to be used. It seemed the ship's intentions were to systematically discourage you from using the benefit. At a time when everyone is worried about germs and unclean water on cruises, you would think water bottles would be included in drink package. Not true. You would have to ask for a cup of water, or pay $4.00 (waters bottles are included on Celebrity) WIFI, save your money. We spent more time with the manager in the technology café, and still could not access the internet. Time and money NOT well spent. No reimbursement there. There was a designated smoking area, that was in prime pool real estate, though most smokers and vapors were all over the ship. One day, I was sitting at pool with my 15 year old reading a book. I put my drink on her chair, while I dug into my bag for my lotion and the waitress came over and reprimanded me for giving my daughter a drink. I explained I did not, and the next thing I know, we had three security guards standing with us by the pool. It was silly, but insulting. Also ironic, as there were more 20-30 year olds drunk all over the ship. I did find one employee at the front desk, who empathized with us and discreetly suggested we call corporate. I did and have been given the run around. They require you to send an email to voice dissatisfaction, and close your case with a generic response. I even with wrote a letter to Mr. Andy Stuart, President and CEO and got no satisfaction. Summary, AWFUL. Try another line.

Norwegian Cruise Lines Has Fundamental Lack of Customer Service

Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by jchopkins

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Porthole Window

A few specifics:

Summary, AWFUL. Try another line.
jchopkins’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 7 to 9
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Norwegian Dawn price drops

Oceanview Porthole Window
Cabin OG 5502
Space was minimal, but acceptable. The staff cleaning the cabin was helpful and polite.
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins