3. Carnival Paradise
This cruise was a gift, and it was also the first time I have ever been on a cruise. Ahead of the cruise, I decided to book one excursion and also purchase the internet plan. The cabin was quite clean, and I chose to have the room cleaned twice a day. I was glad I did this, because I spent the majority of the cruise in my room. The first afternoon of the cruise, a family with multiple cabins checked into their room. Evidently they thought that the hallway was a perfect playground - the kids were running up and down the hallway yelling and screaming for hours. One positive aspect of the room is that it has more room than I expected, and this was on a small, inner cabin. A definite problem with the room is the amount of noise you get from the hallway. It doesn’t matter if it is children, people talking, or service staff. You might as well just leave your cabin room open. The internet plan let me keep in touch with my wife, who couldn’t make the trip. I purchased the middle internet plan for approximately $10 a day because it said it supported WhatsApp. The text feature worked, but it was impossible to use the voice feature due to the internet speed. Even though WhatsApp is advertised as being supported, most of it wasn’t functional. I should have just purchased the $4 per day value plan, which would have accomplished the same thing. Regarding the food, the sit down dinner was relatively good, and the wait staff was well trained. There were, unfortunately very limited vegetarian options. Most disappointing was tha all soups, even if they were vegetable soups, were chicken stock based. The food on the Lido deck in the casual restaurant was much less appealing. This was cafeteria style food. Fruit was okay, but not great. The lines for the buffet during lunch were acceptable, but there were long lines for breakfast. I tried the omelette station, but after waiting for a long time, I decided it wasn’t worth the effort. The easiest thing to do was to grab yogurt and a banana. Restocking of some of the selections was not done on a timely manner in some instances. The worst thing about the dining was that the tables weren’t picked up in a timely manner, and the tables were never, ever, wiped down. At no time were the tables wiped down during meals at the buffet, even after many hours of service, which is completely disgusting. I sat and had multiple cups of coffee at the outside seating, followed by breakfast, and not one time was a table cleaned. Dishes were removed by staff, and that was the extent of it. If you want any quiet on the ship, plan on staying in your room. The ship has music piped in everywhere onboard, and there is no way to escape it. The only place outside of my room to find some quiet was on the small deck in the back of the ship behind the buffet restaurant. But then you have to be prepared to deal with the never clean, sticky tables. Carnival doesn’t seem to know what type of cruise line it is trying to be. On the website, they provide dress codes for meals. There is no enforcement whatsoever. For example, for the sit down meal service, the dress code prohibits cutoff shorts, sleveless shirts, collarless shirts for men and flip flops. Probably 30% of the guests wore t shirts and I saw numerous examples of all prohibited dress wear, including someone in cutoff shorts, flip flops, and a grubby AC/DC shirt. What is the point of a dress code if you don’t enforce it? The other ridiculous thing about the sit down meal was the photographer that interrupted the meal not once, but twice to beg to take a picture. Really? So no dress code and paparazzi at dinner? How relaxing! I would never go an a cruise again. To spend six days of my life feeling like there is no way to relax, only to have a few hours in port on two of the days is just a waste of time. I tried it but it was an absolute disappointment.

Not clean or fine dining

Carnival Paradise Cruise Review by jwussow