3. Norwegian Gem
We stumbled on this cruise while checking out Latitudes offers. I was hesitant but my wife had never been out East so this would check quite a few boxes for her and I had 2 or 3 places I would be willing to go see. The thought of doing the Atlantic Provinces & New England by cruise ship never actually occurred to us but once we learned about it, we thought it might be a good way to see a part of North America neither of us had ever been too (for the most part). Sailing out of Quebec City was great for us and getting an extra day there was a bonus as we love that city! (We had been once before) There's so much to do & see. We just walked around looking a various historic sites and were surprised by a local art exhibit we found at the City Hall. The second stop was La Baie/Saguenay. We had no idea Canada had fjords!! Great stop for such a small town. After that was Charlottetown. Such a pretty city with great food & even better people! Then on to Sydney. From here, we took an excursion to my personal favourite spot of the cruise - Louisbourg!! Just an amazing restoration. Halifax was next. Another great historic city with plenty to see (too much to do in just 1 day). Saint John was the last Canadian stop. Not much to see within walking distance but a few nice photo ops up the hill at King's Square. There were 2 stops in Maine - Portland & "Bah ha ba"! (Bar Harbour) They embrace their accent even on the souvenirs. Both very touristy but if you like lobster, you can certainly get your fill at either place! For the beer snob (I count myself as one), Portland has a ton of craft breweries to explore & sample!! Last stop before NYC was Boston. So much history here too but the only drawback is that we would have needed several days to explore it all as everything is so far apart. The Freedom Trail is a very good starting point and/or reference. The only negative about the trip/itinerary was the weather at this time of year was cold and damp most days. Would have preferred a summer tour instead. As for the ship itself, it was very nice. It's been renovated recently and looked good. The service was typical NCL - spot on! Only 1 blemish with the service: the main dining room & kitchen had multiple instances of difficulty adjusting to simple requests to slightly modify meals choices. Overall, it was a great experience and worth doing. Should be done at least once! For the history buff, it should be a bucket list item!

A Unique Experience

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by LouNe16

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

For the history buff, it should be a bucket list item!
LouNe16’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OB 5600
Our cabin was the standard size with beautiful finishes & a nice large window.
There were 2 minor negatives: there wasn't sufficient legroom when sitting on the throne and they didn't factor in the joined bed set-up when placing the furniture. My side only had 6" of walking room at the end of the bed because the desk was right up against it!
Deck 5 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins