3. Viking Eir
It was our first cruise and my third time to Europe, but first for my wife. The Rhine trip meant a lot to me because my ancestors came from the region centuries ago. Even with the challenge of low water on the Rhine, the Captain and crew made it all work. This ship was run by professionals and made it totally enjoyable. The Captain was always honest about the situation and how to deal with it - and very accessible. The Cruise Director was excellent and made every day fun and upbeat. The food was very good with multiple options at each meal. You felt like you and the other guests and crew were one big family and the interaction was really great. We did a pre-trip excursion to Lucerne and it was well worth it - particularly the side trip to the Stanserhorn. The ports of call were what we expected (quaint old towns) although being in Colmar and Strasbourg on the weekend made for large crowds. The local guides were very good and the personal microphones made communication easy in a crowd. Our day on the Rhine sailing by the castles was perfect weather and a real treat. Spending time in the Marksburg Castle was one of the trip highlights. Also enjoyed seeing the windmills in Kinderdijk - I took the bike ride and it was fun with the group and guide. It was probably the best vacation experience ever and we have already signed up for another cruise in 2020. Viking delivers on all their promises and made it a great experience.

Cruising the Rhine for the first time

Viking Eir Cruise Review by JM Rhodes

• Sail Date: September 2018
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Stateroom
It was our first cruise and my third time to Europe, but first for my wife.

JM Rhodes’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Eir price drops

Deluxe Stateroom
Cabin F 118
Good size (for its function). Sometimes the shower did not drain well and flooded the toilet area. It was resolved.
Main Deck Outside Cabins