3. Grandeur of the Seas
We selected this cruise because of the date. Wanted a place to celebrate a milestone birthday for hubby that departure was close to home. So we sailed out of Baltimore - destination was not important - but none of our 3 had been to Bermuda so an added bonus. We did connecting rooms - and my 93 yo dad was with us so we selected cabins close to an elevator. We did outside cabins on deck 2. The door between the rooms made it simple to chat - but took away precious floor space. There is one arm chair and moving it from the door made maneuvering around a little interesting. We do open seating for dining and the first night we were near a couple families that do not know what inside voices are - and dress as if they are at a break from yardwork (shorts - hats ...) If I heard the one man say one more time that he was going to find a person that looked at him funny and punch him I was going to scream. The next evening we asked if we could be in a different section - but making sure that the waitstaff was excellent - so happily we moved over. They even came to check a few times to see it was better - nice touch. I am not sure why Royal Carib puts rules in the Cruise Compass that clearly says 'no hats in the dining room and no shorts for dinner' if they are not going to enforce it. I don't know how difficult it is for someone to leave their ballcaps in the cabin. Having been with many people that have lost hair to cancer I understand when some people want to cover their heads - this was not the case with these people. We also could not understand why the music needed to be so loud in the rooms when there was not an event. We did go to the Viking Crown Lounge to read and that music was a lower level - but otherwise it was difficult for my father to hear us. My father is a Navy veteran (WWII & Korea). There was a veterans gathering early in the cruise. They mentioned that later in the cruise there would be a veterans celebration. On the last night of the cruise they did this in the Centrum. They asked all the veterans to come on the staircase and celebrated them all. After a few words they also invited any first responders and a few more joined. Later asked for any Gold Star families. It was a lovely presentation - and my dad loved it - I believe it was his favorite part of the cruise.

Great staff - but hard to find quiet place to talk or read

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by pat525

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

pat525’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas price drops

Ocean View
Cabin 2N
Having connecting cabins made it nice to 'review' both. My dad's cabin had a better layout than ours for storage space and getting around. The TV is mounted on a wall and while it is not able to move it also does not get in the way. In our room the TV is mounted in an open area by the shelves - so when the beds are kept together it is an agile exercise to get around. I could not push the TV over to get to my side of the bed so I typically slid to the end to get up. This also took a shelf/open area that would have allowed us a little more storage.

It is nice that the closet has a lower bar for extra hanging - BUT it would have been nice if there were more hangers for that area. We had brought some with us - but how many people actually take hangers from rooms/cruises requiring the hook type layout!

Thanks to previous reviews I knew to bring my own shampoo and lotion - don't like using the stuff in the tube on the wall.
Bed was mostly comfortable

I could not find a way to hear the onboard announcements in the room. They did mention only emergency announcements would be shipwide - but I don't like having to jump up when I hear the ding to run to the hall door.

Our cabin steward was great. I left a note to ask for ice - and he kept our wine nice and cool.
Deck 4 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Baltimore
    Embarking was simple. We had stayed at a baltimore hotel the night before and took advantage of the hotel pier transfer. We arrived about 11 and did not wait in any lines. Because my father is legally blind he had his white cane and we were directed to an accessible line. My dad refused a wheelchair - but the lady at the desk told us to ask for the lower entry so he did not need to do the uphill climb to deck 4 to embark.
    View All 342 Baltimore Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Baltimore Cruise Port Review
  • Royal Naval Dockyard
    This was a nice overview of the west end of Bermuda. It was nice slow view of the area. If you are younger or have people without walking issues you can see most of this on your own. But the commentary was pleasant
    View All 30 Royal Naval Dockyard Reviews