Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by Sailfish53

• Sail Date: Sep 2018
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View Balcony

I recently took a cruise from Boston to Bermuda 9/31/18-10/7/18. I love taking the cruise ship out of Boston it’s very convenient for us being only 45 minutes away, no flying. Also, Royal Caribbean leaves on Sunday afternoon at 5:00. Our designated arrival time was the earliest scheduled for between 10:30-11:30, we were there at 10:15 sharp and we were allowed to board the ship at 10:25…….. 10 minutes later. I love this!!! NCL makes you wait until noon. I know it’s petty……. but I love that little perk! Yes! Being a gold member I did have priority boarding anyway.

The Sunday departure is GREAT because there’s no traffic whatsoever around the cruise terminal or in or out of Boston on Sunday compared to Friday departures and arrivals on NCL. Also the construction from 93N to the terminal is complete now and it’s exit 18, right onto Congress Street and straight to the terminal entrance, very easy to get to now that the constructions done in that area!

Royal Caribbean... to start……… I can’t stress this enough……. the staff was SUPERB!!!!!! They actually had crew members wearing bright yellow T shirts that read “ I can help you ask me any question you’d like”. Also the food was outstanding! from the main dinning to the buffet!!! The entire crew we engaged, was always pleasant, and willing to help!

We sampled virtually everything in the buffet. Our head waiter Danny from Indonesia and his assistant waitress Elaina from Romania were the best team I’ve ever experienced on or off a ship in any restaurant! Our water glasses were never below ¾’s full, the second we were done with our entry or desert the setting was cleared……. I love that….. it shows they’re paying attention to their guests!!!! Truly a pair of professionals!! I also liked the fact that when we were sitting on the ship the waiters throughout the ship would be walking around with a variety of drinks…..NO!!! Not pushing alcohol but delivering, cold drinks such as: lemon aid, strawberry drinks, ice tea, hot coffee, hot tea, and water. Yes… of course they would take an alcohol order as well. Love that, service with a smile!!!!

I have not been on a RCL cruise in 9-10 years. I am a gold member with both cruise lines. In 2009 I left from the port of Seattle, Washington on the Radiance of the Seas which was a cruise to Alaska. If you have never done it…it’s a must!! For the past 7 years I have been taking the NCL Dawn from Boston to Bermuda. What a difference! I read on line the Dawn would be repositioning south and the NCL Gem would be replacing her departing from Boston on Fridays starting in 2019 at 4:00 in late April early May. The parking this year has changed from last year back to the garage, the open parking lots at the pier are now specifically for monthly parking only. Parking has increased from $140.00 a week in 2017 to $175.00 this year :( Ouch!! It has changed ownership, but they now take Master, Visa, Amex, and I believe Discover, NO MORE CASH PAYMENTS!!

Our room location was deck 10 1002 forward sweet 2 port side (left) we always get a balcony forward this seems to be the quietest part of the ship for us. Plus 1 floor up for the pool, food and sun, 3 floors down to the theater. Now being located on deck 10 which on this ship just happens to be the first deck under the pool deck and jogging track. I could hear the joggers very early in the morning but it was very, very faint. There are plenty of elevators on board no problem with overcrowding or excessive waiting. We were allowed in our rooms at 1:00 and had our luggage by 5:00. The ship was immaculate!!!

The room was adequate like all the rest but…. the bathroom shower was very, very tight!!! I have to say the shower is very small and the only negative thing on the ship!! I’m 6’ tall 180 lbs. on the thin side and I was bumping and banging my elbows the whole time I was in there….. it’s tight!! Think NCL dawns toilet area with the sliding door, That’s the size of your shower. It’s very small!! All and All GREAT trip!

Sailfish53's Full Rating Summary

Ocean View Balcony
Cabin 6D 1002

Boston

We take the ferry's everywhere and free lance on our own. It's easy to get around the island.

Sailfish53