3. Majesty of the Seas
I am a former travel agent,, but we have never cruised, never really wanted to. I have sold many cruises, to include the QE2 on down. I've had the opportunity to guest on many ships while in port. I know the saying goes that it's not about the destination, it's the journey. This time for us, Havana WAS the destination. The opportunity to go to Havana lured us in. This was our first cruise on a "big" cruise liner (although Majesty is considered small). The size is comfortable. It was nice, and not overwhelming. We anticipated all sorts of negative experiences, and were pleasantly surprised. Maybe this was beginners luck. We went out of Tampa - check in was smooth as silk. Our visa paperwork for Cuba taken care of easily. Had a comedian of a check in guy at the counter - thanks Larry. Minimal time to board - probably about 20 minutes max. Hubby and I describe ourselves as laid back beach-bum types. We did not eat in the fancy restaurant at 5:30. We did not go to the shows. We were very happy with the offerings at the buffet and the deli. All over the ship, the service was excellent wherever we turned. Our cabin was as we expected. We do recommend two things we saw on Cruise Critic. There are only two plugs and they are loose - bring a power strip for your chargers. Bring a few heavy duty hooks with magnetic backs. We attended the on-board briefing about Havana. They told us about how long the lines would be. They tell you horror stories about going through customs. The next morning while eating breakfast, the cruise director gets on the loudspeaker and says we've been cleared early, so if you hurry up, you dont have to wait to disembark. We breezed through their customs and hit the streets. If you are on the RCCL tours, they will have your areas well organized for you, and easy to find. We organized our own private tour, and it was wonderful. No, you do not need to take an RCCL shore excursion, although they make it seem like it's mandatory to go with them. So much of the information they will give you is very confusing, and I cannot tell you what is really right. The briefing told us two litres of rum. We knew we wanted to bring enough back as gifts for friends, and so we decided to exceed the limit, and if we had to pay tax- so be it. We walked back onto the ship, expecting them to hold our purchases - we had more than the limit. But they just waved us through. I cannot promise that will happen to you, but it just might Same thing while returning through US customs - they just waved us back in through Tampa.. My summary of Majesty - we loved it. It was a pleasant comfortable cruise for us. Sure, she's an old ship, and showing her age here and there. Aren't we all?

Yes, this one is about the destination. HAVANA!

Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by LillianMC

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Cuba
  • Cabin Type: Ocean View

LillianMC’s Full Rating Summary

Ocean View
Cabin 2N 9078
Bring magnet hooks and a power strip.
Deck 9 Outside Cabins