3. Norwegian Escape
Said on the Norwegian Escape out of NYC on Oct 14. Had a great time. We were in a minisuite on Deck 11 (11226) The view sailing down the Hudson River and out of the bay was totally worth it. I highly recommend sailing out of NYC at least once. Thermal Spa Pass: We got Thermal Spa Passes the day they went on sale and it was totally worth it. I highly recommend it. We used the spa in the morning (wouldn’t get crowded until about 10:30am and then in the evening. Quiet times. Hydrotherapy was nice and so were all the lounges. Tried the snow room, salt room, sauna and steam rooms but didn’t stay in those long. Just nice to have a quiet place to relax. Overall impression of the ship: Even though there were over 4000 people it never seemed crowded. The only odd thing is everything seemed compartmented. There wasn’t any general main open space inside. For example on the Norwegian Sun the main guest services area had several levels and stairways going above it. The guest services area and atrium seemed very small. Farther down that deck was a stairwell near the casinos and stores and seemed small. Cabins seemed dated - at least the decor. For being such a new ship, I would have thought the decor, color, etc.. would seem newer and more modern. Looked like a tired old ship. I wish all shows were free, and all the speciality restaurants were free. Just seemed like a lot of extra costs for things. We had taken the 3 speciality meal and 250 internet plans. Both times the spa treatments shorted me on time. My facial was supposed to be 50 minutes and it was 10 minutes short. The person told me it was because I didn’t need any extractions. I paid for 50 minutes I should get it. Same with a massage, I swear I was shorted about 5 minutes. I should get the time I paid for. I remember on another ship my time was short and I complained and got a partial refund. Another passenger mentioned how she thought all the areas around the ship seemed small and compartmented. Theaters seemed small for a ship that size. I know they can’t build a 4000 seat theater but they seemed small. Secret spots/tips about the ship: Deck 7 – nice quiet empty place to walk and watch the sunset. Walk forward all the way near the front near the shuffleboard area. Food buffet – quiet spot to eat: Just outside on the left under the water slides. Always pretty empty While everyone rushed off the ship as soon as we docked, we ate at the buffet and leisurely ate and eventually left the ship with no crowds at all. Cabin: We stayed in 11226, a mini suite on the left side on the 11th deck. Nice sized bathroom. Enough storage area. Mid ship. Murugan was a steward and was always very friendly and nice. At first we had trouble finding the main switch for the light in the bathroom and cabin but realized it was under the compartment to put your key card in. We had brought a hotel car to put in the slot, but to save electricity we always pulled it out when we left the cabin. Arrival: We arrived at the Pier and found the porters who took our bags. They gave us new tags and the one guy said the paper ones are worthless. We arrived about 9:30am and the security line seemed long but got significantly longer after we arrived. It seemed like it didn’t open until 10am but once it opened it moved fast. I thought it was very organized. After security, lines were separated by Deck and the first line was a form about being sick. Then a short line to get our picture taken, show our passport and get boarding card. Didn’t seem like a long wait but we could still see people leaving the ship from the previous cruise. We were boarding group 10. The announcement kept saying we would be called by boarding group and the doors were in the middle, but a worker came by and announced our boarding crew in person and took us to the other end of the ship to board. Went to O’Sheehan’s for lunch (don’t listen to the announcements or the person at the check in who said the only place open for lunch was the buffet). When we walked up to O’Sheehans they were serving lunch and seemed pretty full even though it was just before the opening hours. Nachos weren’t great but the rest of the food was good. After lunch we walked around the ship, signed up for a behind the scenes tour and went up to see the spa. Had the 3 meal speciality dining plan and had reservations at Tepanyaki that first evening for 5:45pm. The food was good except the rice. Not sure how an Asian restaurant can mess up on the rice but they can. It lasted until about 7:05pm. Had made a massage appointment that evening so went up to the spa for that. The person who gave me the massage was nice but at the end recommended products of course. Day 2: Ate breakfast at the buffet and then spent the morning at the Thermal spa. Went to the cruise critic meet and greet and then had lunch at the buffet. The buffet was crowded and food wasn’t that great but a variety of choices. I went to the pamper party for women. It was nice, got to try each product they were trying to sell and had discount on some items. Didn’t buy anything but it was one of the fun activities. Compared to other ships, this cruise didn’t have many interesting activities. The waterfront is a nice and quiet area and lots of seating areas to sit, talk or read and enjoy the ocean. We tried Savor for dinner, but it was slow service, the choices weren’t that great and neither was the food. Didn’t go to Taste and didn’t go back to Savor. Used the thermal spa in the evening. It’s open until 10pm so it’s quiet and almost empty in the evenings. Day 3: Didn’t do anything special. Used the thermal spa in the morning and evening. Went to see Choir of Man that evening. Excellent show and I thought the food was good. I had read comments the food was awful but it wasn’t. I wish they just would have the show without the food and not charge extra. Day 4: Sat at the H20 deck for awhile, although it got very crowded with almost no seats available. Had lunch at Margaritaville (a speciality restaurant) and it was one of the best meals we had on the ship. The fish tacos were really good. Finally arrived in Bermuda that evening at 6pm. Saw the Brat Pack show that evening. Another good show. Walked up about 5 minutes before it started and there were plenty of seats. Only issue were people who talked through most of the show. I don’t understand why people see shows and just talk which is rude to everyone around them. A couple near us had brought a baby and the baby didn’t make a peep and was quieter than some adults. Had signed up for the night cruise via the ship. It was excellent and I recommend it. I think it left at 9pm and was a lot of fun. Glad we signed up for it, as the ocean was too rough the next evening and our sunset cruise was canceled. Day 5: A few months before the cruise I had contacted a private taxi driver that was recommended on this board. We had booked him for a 4-5 hour tour. I emailed him a week before the cruise and confirmed he was still available. He said he was. We went to the pier and he never showed up. Even a couple pier workers who knew him tried a couple times to call and he never answered. I eventually got an email from him later that day and he apologized and said the Escape had changed it’s itinerary so many times in the last month and he said it wasn’t on the schedule. I just wonder how dozens of other taxi drivers and tour guides knew about the ship being in port, they showed up at the pier. It was raining just as we got off the ship and part of the day but eventually stopped and cleared up. **Luckily while waiting, a mini bus service driver was advertising a tour of the island. We joined a couple and so glad we did. He was a great tour guide, friendly person and it cost us half the price of what we were originally going to pay. ($60 each) He drove us all over the island, to St. George, stop in Hamilton, the forts, lighthouse, near the airport and even a stop at Horseshoe Bay. **I recommend Tucker’s Transport Ltd – 504-6657 or rtucker@transact.bm ** Afterwards we came back and walking around the stores and ate at a good restaurant right near the pier. Good food, especially after eating cruise ship food for several days. As I mentioned because of the rough seas, the catamaran sunset cruise was canceled. Friday: Went to Horseshoe Bay. Normally I don’t get excursions through the ship as private excursions are normally cheaper and better. I know it’s cheaper to take a taxi or the bus to Horseshoe bay but because we were leaving that day and we were worried of an accident or issues on the roads, we booked the transportation via the ship to Horseshoe Bay. It was easy and convenient. We left at 9am and then had to meet the bus back at 12:20pm. It was a 30 minute bus ride each way. The driver pointed out sights and stopped at spots for good pictures. Walked down towards the coves and found a quiet almost empty area and went swimming. Walked down a path and then found other paths down to the water. I recommend walking away from the entrance and the crowds. I don’t understand why people all huddle near the entrance of the beach. The beach has a bar, food service and small gift ship. Ate lunch at O’Sheehans. Service was really bad this day. We ordered appetizers and never got them. The table next to us first was never waited on, and although they arrived before us they were still waiting for their food when we left after finishing ours. After we got our food we never saw the waitress again. Went to the atrium and watched the Cruise Next presentation. Saw the show “After Midnight” and it was probably the best show we saw on the ship. Highly recommend it. Saturday: Took the behind the scenes tour. Elsyabeth was our guide and she was friendly and informative. We were offered to take a photo in the kitchen with a chef’s hat and holding some item. We didn’t realize by declining the photo we wouldn’t receive the folder with the Escape photo and us. Had lunch at the buffet in our quiet spot to eat outside. Spent a couple hours at the Thermal spa again. Due to the fact we were going through a storm and the ocean had waves at 11 feet, the hydrotherapy pool seemed like a wave pool. Had dinner at Moderno that evening and that was probably the best food of the whole ship. Salad bad had so many choices I could have eaten the whole dinner at the salad bar. Meats and side dishes were good too. Highly recommend. Sunday/Disembarkation: Got up early, went up to the buffet soon after it open, so it wasn't crowded yet. Got the color to disembark with our own baggage at the latest time. Took the elevator up and just stayed on when it went back down (otherwise the elevator was packed). Easy to get off. Customs line wasn't even very long and got to Penn Station by 9:15am.

Cruise to Bermuda from NYC

Norwegian Escape Cruise Review by genealogyfan

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom

Secret spots/tips about the ship:

Cabin:

Arrival:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:

**I recommend Tucker’s Transport Ltd – 504-6657 or rtucker@transact.bm **

Went to the atrium and watched the Cruise Next presentation.

Saturday: