3. Liberty of the Seas
My parents chose this cruise last year and I decided to join them. I booked the cruise in February. Royal Caribbean was professional and communicated well as always. We have never cruised out of Galveston and will never again. I was at a complete loss as to why the process to get to the terminal was so confusing/complicated. Taking the ferry to the island was pleasant. But once on the island, there is limited signage and bumper to bumper traffic. As the port sends out at least three ships a week, I would have thought they could do a better job of directing people efficiently. We chose to park at the terminal and reserved a space at Parking Lot B (FYI, they want you to download a confirmation page. We just showed them the reservation number on our phone and were good to go). Transportation to and from the parking lot was pleasant and efficient. Their was no wait for buses either at the lot or the terminal after the cruise. Once in the terminal, we were in Royal Caribbean's capable hands and things went smoothly. Day One: We were on the ship around 1pm. We chose to avoid the chaos of Windjammer and found seats at the Schooner Bar (turned out we would be spending a lot of time there). It was pleasant and we were able to play games and socialize. We later walked the public areas of the ship to get acquainted with the layout. The layout on this ship is a effortless to navigate. They have the three dining rooms at one end of the ship (no galley taking up floor space in the middle of the ship). Their is a promenade that truly looks and feels like a city street. In addition to stores and next cruise office, they had a pizza joint and café that offered easy alternatives to Windjammer for breakfast, lunch, or even a snack. We ate dinner in the main dining hall. Jeffery was super friendly and attentive. Day Two: Sea day. I think every cruise needs a few of these. I was impressed how a ship with 4000 people could feel so spacious. Spent much of the day in the adult pool in the Solarium. There were a few others there but the pool was never overly crowded. There are two hot tubs on either side of the ship that look out over the ocean with a similar feel to an infinity pool. Enjoyed pizza for lunch and ate again in the main dining room. Day Three: Another Sea Day! Much like the first day, I spent time in the pool, playing games with family, trivia in the Schooner Bar, and reading on the deck. The staff were friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Day Four: I chose the Maya Key excursion in Honduras. I have always been able to find nice comfortable beaches in the Bahamas but have never been successful in west Caribbean. Until this excursion. We exited the boat at 800 and were on a Tender by 830. The island was only five minutes away (a real bonus). Maya Key is beautiful. There is a animal preserve complete with animal encounters (included in the price of the excursion). There are 'replica' Mayan ruins (though many of the stones are from actual ruins). And the beach was everything you want: sandy and warm water. They limit the people that can come to the island. I was concerned because I had read reviews that suggested it got crowded. That was not my experience. The lunch (also included) was coconut rice/beans (yummy), banana chips (really yummy), chicken/fish/salad (I didn't try these). They had water/tea available and a cash bar. There is the option to place valuables in the lockers. I did not feel unsafe leaving my stuff on the chair on the beach. I saw others go snorkeling and use canoes. Truly the BEST EXCURSION I have ever been on. Day Five: Starfish Island. Once again, you leave the boat on a boat and ride over to the island. It is further away (about 15 minute ride). Please make note that getting on and off the tender at the island requires a rather large step down and up. I saw them having to physically aid several people to overcome this step. Starfish Island is smaller but again did not feel crowded. The swimming/snorkeling area was also smaller. While, I didn't love this excursion~any day at the beach is a good day. They served a lunch but I didn't see it because I spent the day in the water. There was a water park available for an additional fee. The children looked like they were having fun. There were canoes and umbrellas for rent. Another caution: there is literally no natural shade on this island and only three small shaded tables. Day Six: Cozumel. What is there to say. It's Cozumel: trinkets and bars. I got off briefly but didn't like the crowds so spent the day in the pool. (Have I mentioned how much I liked the pool?) This was a formal night so I ate in the Windjammer, they had very good steak available and I didn't have to dress up. Day 7: Sea Day. This was a relaxing day~actually, I was just exhausted and didn't have the energy to do much. FYI~sushi in the Windjammer at dinner. I spent time there playing games and indulged. There was a Q&A with the Captain and other officers in the Star Lounge. Completely worth the time. Best On Ship experiences: pool, trivia at Schooners bar (shout out to Lorenzo and Michael). Ezra greeted us in the morning at the Windjammer and was delightful. Chang was pleasant and helpful (Windjammer). There were several options available on the ship in which I didn't participate: shows, ice skating (didn't want to see medical), rockclimbing (again, not interested in visiting medical), water park that looked amazing, and art auction. However, comments from other passengers indicated that these activities were excellent. Getting off the ship: Another nightmare. I don't believe this is RC's fault. The staff seemed genuinely distressed by what was happening as well. We had chosen self-assist and were supposed to be off the ship by 815. We did not leave the ship until almost 10 am. I find complaining about any aspect of a cruise ridiculous because I really believe that your cruise experience is what you make of it and depends on your attitude. If I had any suggestions that might make the experience better, it would be these: 1) stop asking me to make sure I fill out the review and put 10's. If you create that kind of pressure on your staff of 10 is the only acceptable option, then make it a yes/no and not a scale. 2) Pizza should be available for breakfast (just saying). 3) The carts being in the hallway all day, everyday was annoying and unsightly. Since, I don't actually spend time there, so it was not too big an issue. However, I have cruised enough to know this doesn't happen on other cruise ships. 4) At the towel folding demonstration--give us towels and let us participate. 5) Use your vast influence to fix the issues at the Galveston Terminal. Fortunately, I can cruise out of another port and will. This would be a make or break for me in future decisions.

Any day cruising is a good day.

Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by Gr8tful4cruzin

2) Pizza should be available for breakfast (just saying).

4) At the towel folding demonstration--give us towels and let us participate.

Gr8tful4cruzin’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas price drops

Interior
Cabin 4V 8705
Cabin was clean and well...a cabin. Nothing spectacular but also adequate. Cabin attendant appeared competent but did not volunteer/ask if we needed anything. The tv is difficult to see from one of the beds~easy fix.
Deck 12 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins