Magellan Cruise Review

6 night European Cities and Rivers section of the Norway cruise

Magellan Cruise Review by elles5

• Sail Date: Oct 2018
  • Destination: the British Isles & Western Europe

This was a mixed bag. I would love to give five stars, I think I should and I will explain why in a moment. Having been on the Marco Polo and loved it I was worried that i might not enjoy the Magellan as much and, if I'm honest, I still love the Marco Polo but there was nothing I disliked about the Magellan it's just different. A bigger vessel which means more walking, which I find difficult, but it didn't stop my enjoyment of being at sea. This was a multi generational, themed cruise. Two things I said I would never do but for the most part the children were a pleasure to be with. I saw no bad behaviour at all. Another plus for me was the number of different nationalities on board, so many interesting conversations.

The downside came with the first excursion, to Paris. We knew we would have some free time but we were dropped in the most expensive, and probably busiest area for traffic for three hours. The majority stayed in the area as the traffic was horrendous with no notice at all taken of Pedestrian crossings. The coach did not pick us up where we were told we had to get on by standing in the middle of a dangerously busy road as the driver's side was facing the pavement.

There were many more pluses I'm pleased to say but all on our coach agreed that the Paris trip was an ordeal and badly managed.

The cabin an inner was very comfortable and our Steward very attentive. Entertainment was hit and miss, the Magellan singers and dancers were very enjoyable. There was an Irish folk trio on 2 nights with more or less the same songs the second time and a comedian we could only watch for ten minutes, it was dreadful, but that's just my opinion of course.

The Cricketers and Nick Hancock were always approachable and as someone who knows nothing about cricket I still enjoyed their company.

Now the reason I wanted to give 5 stars but can't as several people were genuinely scared in Paris either of being lost or knocked down. There was a raffle on behalf of the the Lord's Taveners with several prizes, the first being a Cruise donated by CMV. Never having won more than a bottle of wine in a raffle we had no expectations but, and I still can't believe this, we won the Cruise. Not a three night mini cruise that we thought it might be but an 11 night British Isles Discovery Cruise. To say we are thrilled is an understatement and we can't wait. If it had been a less chaotic Paris excursion I would have had nothing really to complain about but I really believe, given that families with young children were also with us, that not enough thought was given to the area where we could be left to our own devices.

A too short time aboard the Magellan, Crew were brilliant, Magellan's own entertainers and the Cruise Director gave their all, and thank you CMV, we can't wait to come back.

elles5's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Cat 3 specifically chosen for location 6083

Not elaborate but more than adequate. Kettle was a nice surprise. We don't spend a lot of time in the cabin, we need a good night's sleep, a shower and adequate storage and thats what we had. Would happily book the same again.

The choice of where to leave us for our free time was very poor, given all that Paris has to offer we got the most expensive shopping area, in mad traffic. A scary experience for several of us.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Antwerp

Loved Antwerp, very friendly and would happily have had two days there.

Canal Tour

Really enjoyed the tour and the guide was very knowledgeable. A fascinating city.

View All 311 Canal Tour Reviews
City Tour

Got off to a bad start. The weather had delayed us which was understandable but once we were able to go we had to gather in the entertainment lounge and leave one coach at a time. Ours was the last to leave, consequently we were rushed and missed out.

View All 148 City Tour Reviews