3. Celebrity Infinity
While we are open to other cruise lines, we have had a preference for Celebrity, and its passenger-focused efforts. We find that Celebrity ships focus more on delivery of what matters, than on partying and glitz. We picked there 4 night 10/24 cruise to Key West and Nassau for that reason - we expected (and received) a comfortable extended week end vacation. This was an experiment for us - we have cruised in Aqua class for the last several cruises, and we wanted to see if we missed it. The jury is out. Embarkation was a breeze. We got to the ship around 12:30, and were to our room around 1. There were simply not problems. Debarkation was delayed, maybe 30 minutes, due (the ship reported) to Customs crowding. However, on the whole, it was very easy. DIdn't see any difference from Aqua to non-Aqua. Our room, 7172, was well laid out, but tired. The tile in the bathroom, while very clean, was stained; tile repairs were evident, and more were needed. Nice toiletries were provided. Air conditioning could not keep up with the temperature, without the drapes closed - we had the temperature set at the coldest throughout the cruise. The beds were set up in the queen bed format - we had to move one frame into position after banging legs walking buy. The mattresses were well used. The sofa had significant wear. The rail on the balcony was rusted on the bottom and had shedding finish on the top. While initially we thought storage was a problem, it turned out to be more than adequate. Our cabin steward Anthony was outstanding. Our location was excellent - a few doors off the stairway. No noise; easy to walk up to the Lido and down to the MDR. We did not miss the Aqua bathroom amenities - the toiletries were fine. While the shower did not have the extra spray, we thought it was larger than the Aqua class shower. We were not in the room enough to miss afternoon Aqua appetizers. We found plenty of drinks to replace the iced tea from Aqua. The Infinity has the interior Persian Gardens, which are not our preference - we prefer the stone beds when you can gaze out the windows, like on the Equinox and Silouhette. So we didn't miss them. We had two of the more outstanding massage experiences we have every had in the spa. We did not miss Blu. We found our experience in the main dining room excellent. Our waiter team was outstanding in every way, and the food and selection met all our needs. We did not choose to go to any of the speciality restaurants. We like the Lido deck variety, as well, and thought that it was particularly well run. We enjoyed the ship entertainment: we thought the Celebrity Theater shows were well done, and we enjoyed several lounge shows, including a guitar/soloist combo and a violin/cello combo. We picked poorly on our excursions. The first was a snorkeling - boat ride in Key West. It was not as good as other snorkeling excursions we have taken. The boat was fine and the crew was helpful, but it was delayed in starting, took an hour to get to the chosen reef, and we stayed at the reef for only 45 minutes. We were in Key West during their Fantasy Fest week. Let's just say that it was an eye-full. The second excursion was a city tour in Nassau. The staff worked very hard and was very nice, but there isn't that much to see. Nassau is a city of marked contrasts in wealth, and we spent quite a bit of time in the less wealthy side. The stops at the rum cake bakery and tea shop were really only sales opportunities, which I don't begrudge, but were not interesting. The caves could be interesting, but are really not accessible. But the beach across the street was gorgeous. We also really enjoyed the restaurant stop, for authentic Bahamian food - it was the standout element of the tour - with tamarind wings, conch fritters and fried fish, and local sour orange drinks. My experience with the guest relations desk in the last item to note. The guest relations officer was very good, although clearly a bit harried, and not well supported by her home office and facilities people. I had arranged to move 50,000 points from my Celebrity Visa account to create $500 in OBC, and somehow it got lost. I still do not have confirmation of what happened. In a first round of discussions, sadly on the last night of the cruise, I was asked to deal with the matter on my return home. In a second round of discussions, when I produced the receipt which clearly indicated a transfer into OBC, I was given a compromise - they would refund the points to my Celebrity Visa account. Not exactly what I wanted, but since I know I will be on Celebrity again, probably better than dealing with the lost credits on return. All in all, 1) I am left uncertain as to whether Aqua is worth the extra cost to me ( I do recognized opinions differ :-) ; 2) the level of service delivered by staff on the Infinity was outstanding (and frankly better than what we saw on the Silhouette); the Infinity needs an overhaul and cleanup.

Well run, but tired.

Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by macdlc52

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Bahamas

macdlc52’s Full Rating Summary

Our room, 7172, was well laid out, but tired. The tile in the bathroom, while very clean, was stained; tile repairs were evident, and more were needed. Nice toiletries were provided. Air conditioning could not keep up with the temperature, without the drapes closed - we had the temperature set at the coldest throughout the cruise. The beds were set up in the queen bed format - we had to move one frame into position after banging legs walking buy. The mattresses were well used. The sofa had significant wear. The rail on the balcony was rusted on the bottom and had shedding finish on the top. While initially we thought storage was a problem, it turned out to be more than adequate. Our cabin steward was outstanding. Our location was excellent - a few doors off the stairway. No noise; easy to walk up to the Lido and down to the MDR.
  Celebrity Infinity Deck Plans