3. American Constitution
Wish we could have seen cruise critic reviews before we booked in Dec 2017. We wanted to see New England, particularly Maine, and thought we would splurge for a relaxing, enjoyable experience. $25,000 later we found we had made a huge mistake; worst money we have ever spent! I've waited over 2 months to write my review because I was so mad I thought my initial comments might not be fair. Sorry time hasn't made it any better. Some of the blame is on us but we were out and out lied to and their advertising certainly stretches reality. Shared all of the following comments with american Cruise Line in their post cruise survey and didn't even get a response. Pre trip- We asked about the mix of travelers in terms of ages and were told that it would be widely varied. Yeah as long as the variation was late 60's and older. We are in our younger 60's and were told by a number of guests they were surprised to see someone so young on the cruise. Not anything wrong with a mature group; just not what was advertised. Also, we specifically asked if there were any tenders to shore or if we would be docked. Told that here were no tenders. Frankly I don't think the telephone sales person knew what a tender was but who cares as long as they get the sale, right? More ports have tenders than docks. Specifically asked what resort casual clothing meant and was told the men would feel most comfortable in a jacket at dinner. Seriously, I asked. Was then told really just no t-shirts at dinner. Saw sleeveless undershirt and cut-off jeans at dinner first night. Wouldn't have cared but set a realistic expectation ahead of time so everyone feels comfortable and can pack accordingly. Service- We were told onboard that American Cruise Lines hires young people for one 12-16 week term and they can't return unless promoted. This creates constant turnover. While most are very pleasant and want to please they are not properly trained. The person cleaning our cabin had never cleaned before and after 4 days we had to tell him that he should be cleaning the toilet. He thanked us as nothing was explained to him when he started the day before the cruise. Our dining room server had never been a server before and had no idea what to do. etc., etc., .... Our linens were not changed for an entire 10 day cruise. At a premium price we expect more. Dining- Food was very average at best. First morning ordered eggs over medium and after 3 tries and 45 minutes later gave up on getting eggs that weren't still raw. For many menu items, descriptions did not resemble the actual food served. There were supposed to be 2 dinner seatings but it was reduced to only one. It appeared that the favorite food selection was the large platter of prunes each morning at breakfast that was refilled several times each morning. Entertainment- "Late night" cocktail hour was literally at 8:15 p.m. Always ran out of appetizers at pre dinner cocktail hour. Ship- Brand new ship but no work out facilities to speak of and wi-fi didn't work the entire trip thought it is advertised. Told by ship employee that it never works. Ship decor is dated even though it is a new ship though it might be to the liking of the typical older guest

We shouldn't have had to show new employee how to clean our bathroom toilet

American Constitution Cruise Review by luckyguy56