Norwegian Gem Cruise Review

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Gina1239

• Sail Date: Oct 2018
  • Destination: Canada & New England
  • Cabin Type: Penthouse with Large Balcony

Embarkation and disembarkation went smoothly. Ship was a good size not to big. Cabin was large and roomy we paid for that. We found the food on this ship terrible like a restaurant that you would never go back to but instead we are stuck for 12 days. We did go to all the specialty dining restaurants and found Cagney's to be ok nothing special. I was also disappointed that here we were in the sea food capital for north America and not a lobster, crab, mussels, etc  to be found on this ship (lots of rubbery shrimp there idea of sea food ) If it was in something it was little bits and pieces in a flavorless soup. All the soups tasted the same. We tried to have corned beef and cabbage at O"Sheehan's what a disaster. The waiter did try to warn use though. The waiters and other service personal were great, but does not make up for bad food. Also we had a lot of food options because of our cabin choice penthouse. like breakfast in Modenro and lunch in Cagney's. Day after day my husband would order waffles soft mushy gummy waffles from the breakfast menu at Moderno and me cold eggs benedict. The first day I was excited to try the crab cake eggs benedict I never ordered that again. It was out of a can pressed crab meat that was very fishy not like crab should be. The risotto at Le Bistro was like glue. The only dissent meals we did have were at Orchid Garden but you put enough soy sauce and chili paste on food it helps. The buffet I will say for breakfast had plenty of omelet stations cooking eggs to order. On the first couple of days there were little croissants but never did I see them again. just the same food day in and day out. as the cruise went on it looked like the were running out of things and your choices became less and less. I will say that my husband and I hate to waste food a lot of the time we would share a meal, so those of you who say just don't eat it and order something different that is not the way we are I just would have liked the food we ordered to be good and I was not about to order some more bad food. Someone in this company needs to get a grip on the chefs and food prep on this ship. Never have I cruised where the food was just so bad. So $10,000.00 later very very DISAPPOINTING !

Did not do much of the entertainment and activities as we were visiting the towns we went to see.

Service was good although we did not use much of it as we are pretty self reliant.

We did several excursions and got off the ship at every port. The best was Bar Harbor food tour although some of the towns people were rude guess by the end of cruise season they have had enough of the tourist. Also liked Boston food tour. Did not travel with children. Would not go again for the money we should have flown to Boston/New York rented a car and got to really see the fall colors and ate as much lobster and seafood as we wanted.

Activities we did very little on the ship I did the painting class, we wanted to play deal or no deal but there was always a monetary amount of money the cruise ship required so never got to play. Service was great but if the food is bad it does not matter how good the service is. Are cabin was great as we paid to get this great cabin. Did not see any of the entertainment.The one thing I will add about the staff as reading some of the other reviews I found it humiliating to parade the chef out to talk to patrons about how bad the food is this is something the Norwegian corp needs to take care of I am sure the " chef " is only working with what they give him. Which is not much.

Gina1239's Full Rating Summary

Penthouse with Large Balcony
Cabin SF 9670

Cabin was good got a little noise from the engines when we were not cruising, like when the Caption was gunning it to the next stop.

Bar Harbor

Bus went up let us out for 10 min and back down never stopped again.

Bar Harbor

Culinary Tour was great the bus ride through Acadia National Park not so great only stopped once in 3 hours for 10 min at the top Cadillac Mountain

Gina1239