3. Norwegian Bliss
I selected this cruise for a look at the new ship, Bliss, and the warmth of the Mexican Riviera. I got only 1/2 of that promise fulfilled since Hurricane Wila prevented the Bliss from sailing south. So, while I saw the ship, I also saw San Francisco (I live 50 miles away and it is no big deal...or any deal to me), San Diego where I was stationed in the military, and Ensenada, which a friend called "Tijuana by the Sea". Pluses included: 1) Awesome Observation Lounge on the Bliss. Beautiful, not crowded and affording great views. 2) Thermal suite: Big, lots of heated couches, great therapy pool. 3) Two excellent shows: Havana and Jersey Boys 4) Good embark particularly considering 4,000 passengers 5) Big buffet with good views (but would get crowded) 6) Specialty restaurants were very good to excellent. Cagney's, Q, Le Bistro and Teppanyaki all more than met my expectations 7) Buffet, The Local, Taste/Savor all had good service and good food. Not so good: 1) The theatre, unlike the smaller ships, looks like a cardboard box. The entries are almost nondescript and, while the productions were good, the whole area is without style. 2) "Office building" decor in many places. Lobby not as impressive as other smaller ships (like the Star, Jewel, Pearl or Sun). 3) Gym has lots of equipment, but only two exercise bikes. For which there was some contention but no contention for the myriad stair masters and treadmills. 4) No real promenade. Guests can walk back and forth on deck 7, by the life rafts to dead ends, around deck 8 (the Waterfront) but only by going into and out of the interior of the ship, or around a short loop on Deck 17 while contending with joggers. 5) Closet design in my stateroom (148362) was not good. Impinged at one end so that clothes couldn't really hand there, too close to the couch which blocked easy entry, and with doors that looked like something from IKEA, as did most of the staterooms furnishing. 6) NCL provided disembark was OK until it was marred by a bus that had little luggage capacity because it was storing spare tires for the bus. So we were loaded up and then made to get off and go to another bus. The port does get real crowded with 4,000 people trying to leave at the same time. 7) The Bliss is BIG with lots of decks. Hoofing it from deck 6 (restaurants) to our stateroom on 14 certainly raised my heart rate. But that is the nature of the newer huge ships.

New ship...new destination because of Hurricane Wila

Norwegian Bliss Cruise Review by Mike D.

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom

Pluses included:

2) Thermal suite: Big, lots of heated couches, great therapy pool.

3) Two excellent shows: Havana and Jersey Boys

4) Good embark particularly considering 4,000 passengers

5) Big buffet with good views (but would get crowded)

7) Buffet, The Local, Taste/Savor all had good service and good food.

Not so good:

Mike D.’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Bliss price drops

Mid-ship Balcony Stateroom
Cabin BA 14832
Nice bathroom/shower. Large balcony. Closet oddly shaped and hard to access. "IKEA" like furnishing. No 110 volt outlets except on the desk area.
Deck 15 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins