3. Costa Favolosa
We choose this sailing because of the itinerary. We are experienced cruisers and have been on over 30 cruises. We had never tried Costa Lines but virtually have sailed with all other cruiselines including Norwegian, Holland America, Carnival, Royal, Princess etc.. We had thought how bad could Costa be? Firstly. when we boarded, our Passports were immediately confiscated When we questioned why we were told that this is common practice for cruiselines for non-Europeans guests. When we advised that it definitely was not common practice for our passports being taken away (as we had been on many other European cruises) Costa advised us that it was mandatory. They insisted on holding our passports in their safe until the end of the cruise. We went on a shore excursion from Savona to Monaco booked through Costa that required our passports. When we asked for them we were told that Costa was having trouble 'finding them,' The tour bus had to wait until they were finally found. There were less than 80 English speaking passengers out of 3,800 passengers on board. Very few of the staff spoke English. As a result almost all of our excursions that were booked with Costa were either cancelled the night before (by way of a note left in our cabin stating that there were not enough English speaking people) or we were forced to go on an excursion where the tour guide spoke either Italian, Spanish or German. We understood very little of the few words in broken English that were said so these excursions were a waste of money since we could not understand a word. When I complained politely to one tour guide her name was Fernanda, that I was sorry but I could not understand (I asked her if it was a Church where we were stopping) she told me in very broken English and in front on the whole group that I had a bad attitude. I honestly felt humiliated so kept quiet for the duration. Most shows were all in Italian or Spanish so the entertainment on board was impossible to enjoy or even understand. The food was not anything that we had ever experienced to on ANY cruiseline. You could not get a slice of Pizza unless you were willing to pay an extra 4.25 Euro per person. (Please see photo) Quite surprising on an Italian cruiseline. There was no coffee available anywhere on the ship from 11am until 4pm unless again you were willing to pay extra. (see photo). There were signs on every coffee machine saying 'Washing Mode' everyday from 11am-4pm. No coffee after dinner in the tdining room either. No ice cream the entire time without paying extra again. My husband ordered the Chicken Parmesan in the Main Formal Dining Room. (Please see picture.) no sauce was on it, the processed cheese was not melted. When we asked for some sauce he was told that was not available. Finally he asked for Ketchup as it was extremely dry and was served packaged Ketchup like one would get at McDonald's. Many of the staff including waiters were very rude and seemed frustrated that we only spoke English and they did not. We will never go on Costa again..

If you're English Speaking AVOID COSTA!!!!!!!!!

Costa Favolosa Cruise Review by Upset Cruisers

• Sail Date: October 2018
  • Destination: Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Classic Inside
We choose this sailing because of the itinerary.

We are experienced cruisers and have been on over 30 cruises.

We will never go on Costa again..
Upset Cruisers’s Full Rating Summary