3. Oasis of the Seas
This was our first Royal Caribbean cruise so I had big hopes, since I heard it was a leg up from Carnival and Norwegian. In short our trip was good overall, service was good, food was ok, the ship was showing wear and tear, and the kids club was unsatisfactory. Embarkation went smoothly, we arrived at port around 11:00 am and the waiting area was overflowing with people, but Royal called our boarding number 11 fairly quickly. To our dismay, once our number was called we were led to a separate long line to get a bracelet for our 10 year old son. The bracelet alerts staff of your child’s muster station, in the unlikely event of an emergency. It’s a good idea, but seems like there could be another way to do that. We took the drink package so once onboard my husband quickly got a drink from the On Air Bar on the Royal Promenade deck. We found the drinks to be really good, and fresh, not pre made like Norwegian. Bar Service overall was friendly and good. This deck was really cool if you like the feel of a mall. There were shops, restsuraunts, bars and Starbucks. It was really neat and had lots of activies throughout the week. I really enjoyed the Cental Park deck, with all of the flora and fauna, however it was mostly quiet and subdued. I really missed having a quiet place to sit and watch the ocean. You cannot see the ocean from the Cental Park deck. After registering our son for the kids club we hit the buffet. We were surprised how small it was for a ship this size. It was nearly half the size of the buffet on the larger Norwegian ships. Food was ok, nothing great. The buffet would be a bone of contention for us through out the week. Being that this area was small we often ran into lines just to get into the buffet. Sometimes it was so crowded that Royal would seat you when a table was available. Also, there were no hand washing sinks like on Norwegian just the had sanitizer. Our biggest irritation came when we returned from port around 3 pm and the buffet was completely closed. No one could tell us where to go other than Sorrento’s and I was sick of pizza. While 24 hour pizza is a huge win, I don’t want to eat that all the time. Also annoying were the soda cups. I hated carrying that cup around and several times we found the machines out of ice or out of soda. We only found a total of 6 machines around the ship. They really need to service these better if they want cruises to use them. Ona bright note, Oasis offers so many activities for families. We loved the aqua theater, with the 2 areal shows, and the outdoor movies. My son liked skating at the Ice Rink, the pool area, hot tubs, mini golf and the flow rider. We were too chicken for the zip line. My son did mention missing not having a water slide. The week that we sailed had over 1100 kids on board so the kids club was chaos. We always arrived 20 minutes early and lined up for our age group because it maxed out at 50 kids. The space was very small and it smelled bad in the room.The doors to the kids club never opened even one minute early. The staff was clearly not happy to be there nor were they friendly. One time I picked my son up, I watched the staff sitting on the couch with a micro phone barking out orders. The group played a lot of games, it never once used the Lab that you see in the ads. My son said there were too many kids and said it wasn’t as good as Norwegian. I have always tipped the staff, but this time I didn’t feel the need to tip them. While the check in process was easy, the staff and activities were unsatisfactory compared to Norwegian. I wanted to love the Solarium adult area but the wind cover made it hot there all the time and there was only a bar upstairs. Our room steward was the best we have ever had. We had new animals every night and the room was as clean as it could get. This ship is showing wear, black lines in the toilet, stains on the couch, rust etc. I also was excited to try the dining where you share a table, but we were stuck in a corner on the 5th floor with just the 3of us. Our server was good, but we only ended up in the MDR 3 times. The food was comparable to Norwegian. We ate at Chop House one night and we were disappointed. It was ok, nothing special. Disembarkation was amazingly easy. We wanted to waste time and get off as late as possible. They called all remaining guests to leave at 9:30. We were shocked, there was absolutely no line. Overall we enjoyed our trip, but I really missed the Waterfront and don’t care to have a mall on my ship. We won’t rule out Royal, but will probably go back to Norwegian.

Oasis vs Norwegian Away class review

Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Sotermarler

Sotermarler’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12

• Labadee
    I was a bit disappointed with Labadee. It was very crowded with 6000 of my closest friends, kind of like people soup. There was visible trash in the water, but we arrived after a storm.

The lunch was good, the dragon coaster was great, and the bar service was good,
    View All 1,669 Labadee Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Labadee Cruise Port Review
  • City Tour
    We didn’t book a tour and were going to just walk around the city, but it was so hot and humid we took a $15, 1 hour bus tour that we picked up at the end of the pier. The bus was new and had A/C. We drove by and stopped by and walked into some of the important buildings in old San Juan. The city has rebounded from the hurricanes and you couldn’t tell there even was one.
    The bus stopped near the fort, where we got off and walked back through the city and shops back to the ship.
    View All 204 City Tour Reviews