We chose this cruise because of our prior cruise to Tahiti on Marina. We wanted a smaller ship able to dock without tendering and able to navigate in to the Hubbard glacier. Alaska was on our bucket list. We also enjoy fine dining which Oceania is known for. We had a great trip. The excursions were all very good. However, you can book them cheaper yourself but we prefer to pay extra for the convenience and having Oceania cover any risk associated with them and be covered with the insurance. The other issue is that some of the excursions are limited and when several ships are in port, you might not get one. The excursions in Alaska were great. We expecially liked the bears of Anan, the White Pass Railway, and the Whale watching tours. Our weather could not have been better. Seeing the Hubbard glacier from the ship was magnificent. I would recommend checking trip advisor for more in depth reviews of the considerable amount of excursions, because its too much to review here. From what I researched, Oceania has the most available. The service on board was very good, and we had no issues. The entertainment was even a bit better than our previous voyage. Liked the comedians and the ventriloquist. Even played bingo for the first time. The casino was small and I think the odds are better in Atlantic city, but just a feeling, can't prove it, but people seemed to be losing money very quickly and the place was never crowded. I did miss the two specialty restaurants, Jacques and Red Ginger that are on the larger ships. We have a lot of local Italian restaurants so a French restaurant is a real treat for us, especially one inspired by Jacques Pepin. We liked Polo and Tuscan but there was limited availability, owing in part I think to the size of the ship. On Marina we were able to obtain a reservation in a specialty restaurant any time we wanted one. The only issue we had was with the food preparation. This was an initial disappointment and not up to our previous cruises on Oceania or their reputation, in my opinion. So much so that I brought it to the attetion of the food director and exec chef who took it seriously and rectified the issues, of which there were several. I was very surprised at these issues. I won't relate them all, but for example, the scrambled eggs for breakfast on the buffet were the consistency of soup and could be poured off the plate, meat cooked improperly, etc.. But to their credit, they were resolved the next day, which is why I kept my rating at excellent overall. We liked the barista and good expresso was always available without a long wait. I did like the afternoon tea when we could make it. Seating was hard to come since it was popular and limited on this smaller ship, especially on sea days. Also had to wait a bit longer for tea and pastries here. Love the string quartet, especially when they played a song by "Guns and Roses". Talented folks. One thing I learned is that you are allowed to bring wine on board, so if you are not a heavy drinker, we did that and used the credit for the occasional wine at dinner and gratuities owed at the end of the cruise. Even used the saltwater pool one warm sunny day. Fun but a cold trip back to the cabin. Great captain and crew and great interacting with them and other passengers on a smaller ship. Would go back to Alaska on Oceania.

Nice to be on a smaller ship in Alaska,,,

Regatta Cruise Review by njtravelcritic

• Sail Date: August 2018
  • Destination: Alaska

Would go back to Alaska on Oceania.
njtravelcritic’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Regatta price drops

Our first time on one of the smaller ships. A 600 passenger ship was nice not having to deal with the crowds. We booked a PH2 cabin because they were offering a discounted rate on them. The cabin was fine but considerably smaller than t comparable suite on the Marina. We were spoiled a bit I think having been in the Marina Vista suite previously. The room was adequate for us, with a balcony able to seat 2 persons which we liked.. The shower and bathroom were smaller than I would have liked. Only one at a time. Difficult stepping up into the shower. Glad we had calm seas. The bed was fine and comfortable. No 110 outlet next to the bed so I need a transformer for my CPAP which they provided. Our butler attended our requests. Our next cruise is on the Nautica (sister ship) and we are going back to the Vista size cabin. We like a larger cabin, just our preference. The chairs and furnishings were serviceable but worn and in need of the planned retrofit. Had adequate storage but not abundant and a nice unobscured view. For the price it was a pretty good value, albeit smaller.
  Regatta Deck Plans