Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by savcoley

• Sail Date: Oct 2018
  • Destination: the Bahamas
  • Cabin Type: Porthole

Safe to say after this I will never be on a Carnival Cruise again! Never, ever! Went on this cruise for my honeymoon + my husband and I were both highly disappointed. Disappointed is the understatement of the century. Would have been better off flushing our money down the toilet.

Negatives:

• Horrible food. Imagine Golden Corral gone terribly wrong, after an apocalypse.

• Buffet was disgusting. The few other places to eat were closed at really strange times. Felt like we could never get food when we were hungry. Only things that were open 24 hours were the pizza bar (which served burnt pizza that’s taste reminded me of my elementary school cafeteria pizza) and the soft serve bar. The soft serve bar is not “soft serve” at all. It was more like ice with vanilla or chocolate flavoring which you could accompany with tiny little sugar cones. No toppings or anything.

• Absolutely nothing to do on this cruise ship... aside from maybe Bingo? If you’re into that. The casino is small and as soon as you swipe your sign & sail card there is a $10 charge that gives you five credits. One mini golf course and one tiny ping pong table on the deck. Also an arcade, but that adds up fast. There’s is the occasional trivia. I never thought I could be bored on a cruise. I was wrong. (Remember, you’re sharing all these things with almost 3,000 other passengers)

• There is one tiny pool for almost 3,000 passengers and two hot tubs. There is the Serenity Deck that seats maybe 35 people max, which fills up by 9:30 every morning. On the Serenity Deck, there are also only 2 hot tubs which stay completely full.

• We bought the drink package but we were unable to get our moneys worth, or even close to it due to the VERY poor service. It took a MINIMUM of 15 minutes for any bartender to even notice us to take our drink order and another 10 for them to make the drinks. So by the time you’re able to get two drinks, an hour has passed. Service was absolutely terrible at all of the bars.

• Decor is SO outdated, but that is minor.

• Princess Cays — 1) the beach was TINY with lounge chairs packed shoulder to shoulder so you were unable to even enjoy the beach. Couldn’t take a nice walk or anything due to them crowding so many people on this island. But what could I expect considering this was also the theme on the cruise ship? 2) Carnival owns this island. You use your Sign & Sail Card at the bar, which is tended by Carnival employees. Your drinks are charged to your room, like all other purchases made on the ship. The automatic 15% gratuity still applies at this bar. But get this... your drink package does not apply on the island. My husband and I’s drink packages cost over $600 and you’re telling me that they don’t apply on the CARNIVAL OWNED island? Such a scam. I was disgusted. Spent an hour and a halfback here and went back on board.

• One elevator was broken during the cruise, so only three by the state rooms were available for use. We couldn’t catch an elevator for the life of us. Had to take the stairs everywhere we went. This was not fun.

• Waiters can’t take your drink orders during meals. They have to go get the “bar waiter” to take your drink order. Sat down for brunch and asked for a Bloody Mary and water. Waiter said they would have to get a bar waiter. Half an hour later... no bar waiter. I asked again. 45 minutes later and still no bar waiter. Finished our whole meal and ended up leaving without getting a drink. (Wow! What great use this drink package is getting, right?)

• Music by the pool is deafening at all times. You’re not able to relax at all. I never want to hear another steel drum for as long as I live.

• Carnival screams the word “fun” at you 24/7. The irony is that I couldn’t find one fun thing about this cruise. I think they say it so that maybe you will convince yourself that you’re having fun. Nope.

• Nassau - not tax free shopping. Actually, 12% tax! Felt very unsafe here. Locals barading you at every stop to get a taxi or buy some Cuban cigars. Due to this we were unable to even walk down the street or shop. Finally escaped to a restaurant for a meal and drink. Got charged $40 for a large drink that didn’t have a drop of alcohol in it. Spent a total of two hours here.

• Shopping on board was bad. There’s a jewelry store and another little store to buy knick knacks, flip flops, sunscreen ($15+), etc.

Positives:

• Smooth and quick embarkation and debarkation process.

• The man who cleaned our room was wonderful and knew us by name. He made a point to say hello in the hallway every time when we walked by!

• Guy’s Burger Joint was delicious. Only edible food on this cruise. But who can eat a burger and fries for 5 days straight?

Moral of the story: please, please, please save your money. Do anything other than go on this cruise. Highly recommend Royal Caribbean! Only reason we cruised with Carnival was because we got married in Charleston and this is the only ship that leaves from this port. We were relieved to be LEAVING our vacation... something you should never feel.

savcoley's Full Rating Summary